String calculator using speclj

Caleb

Feb 28, 2011, 6:33:21 PM2/28/11
to speclj
I have recorded a screencast of the string calculator kata using
speclj: http://vimeo.com/20469597

I would love to hear any feedback anyone feels like giving.

Thanks,
Caleb

Micah Martin

Mar 1, 2011, 10:28:24 AM3/1/11
to spe...@googlegroups.com
It's beautiful. A couple bits of feedback:

1. The musics ends about 30 seconds too soon... or the kata lasts about 20 seconds too long... Either way, there's a mildly awkward silence at the end.
2. Java. .startsWith, .contains, Integer. This is more a gripe on the Clojure library... there ought to be a way to do these things nicely in Clojure, without Java.

Nice job. I hope you don't mind... I tweeted it.

Micah

Caleb

Mar 1, 2011, 11:47:17 AM3/1/11
to speclj
Micah,
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the tweet.

1. The music thing bugged me a bit, because the refactoring at the end
is in awkward silence, but I was fatigued by learning how to record
(and encode) the kata. It's good feed back that it felt awkward to
you, too. I don't have the kata down smoothly enough yet, because it
was still varying in length a good but. I would like to do it again
once I have a smoother flow.

2. I actually wasn't using .startsWith and .contains in the kata until
right before I decided to record it. I was doing things like (=
(first s) \/), but I was wondering if using the Java strings libraries
was more idiomatic Clojure. Coming from Ruby, picking apart the
string felt more awkward (it may be my ignorance). I was unsure which
string library to use, so I definitely need to do research there.

Also, the autotest runner is super fast. So much so that sometimes I
didn't even catch that the tests had run. That's definitely a big
advantage.

Caleb

On the music, I was fatigued by the process of trying to record the
kata