Actual workflow/implementation advice for using BDD

Konzy

Mar 18, 2021, 1:50:34 PM3/18/21
to Specification by Example
Hi there,

I've been using SpecFlow+ for a while now, mainly for UI automation against a legacy application and whilst this has been relatively successful, I feel I and the team are missing out on the potential benefits of a 'culture' of BDD across the whole team.

Having read 'Discovery' by Gasper Nagy and watched a few talks, the what you should be doing is a little clearer, however I'm struggling to find an actual implementation with code examples showcasing the full ideal BDD process from formulation to deployment/release.

Here are just a few questions I'm struggling with...
  • Does the developer use the scenario as a guide? Do they attempt to write a unit test that enables the scenario to pass? What if there are more edge cases to test that don't fit the language of the scenario? Might they then end up with a mixture of BDD tooling and normal unit test tooling?
  • What if you want to have unit, integration and UI tests for a new piece of functionality? Do you attempt to use the same scenario for each of the different test types? Doesn't that then mean you then have duplicated documentation?
  • What if an automated test requires some data setup in a Given step that is only implied by the originally written scenario? Do you have to 'bend' the scenario so it makes sense both as a test and as business readable behaviour?
As you can probably tell the boundaries between testing and BDD scenarios for me are blurred. BDD scenarios are tests, as that is how you use SpecFlow, but clearly it would be time consuming to formulate scenarios for a wide range of test cases against a particular story.

I was hoping someone would be able to share what they have done successfully, like what they did to formulate scenarios, how they got those into source control, how the developers and testers work with those scenarios and how the documentation is produced.

Many thanks,