Inverting control flow?

Mikkel Nygaard Ravn

Aug 31, 2019, 4:26:03 PM8/31/19
to Specification by Example
Has anyone experimented with inverting the control flow when running tests based on executable specifications?

What I mean by this is to let the test code own the control flow and have it reproduce the specification text, e.g. as console output, as the test executes - rather than the traditional approach of having technical infrastructure like Cucumber parse the specification and invoke test code.

The point of inverting control flow would be to simplify state management in test implementation, simplify tooling, and support greater freedom in specification syntax.

/Mikkel

Gojko Adzic

Aug 31, 2019, 4:28:26 PM8/31/19
to specificati...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The buzzword you're looking for is 'approval testing', and it's gaining more traction. there are several tools that support it, including TextTest (http://texttest.sourceforge.net/) for text-based state and Appraise (https://appraise.qa) for visual look and feel. They combine spec by example with easy diffs of actual state and allowing you to "approve" the new state, making the data collected during a test run the expectation for the next test run.

Mikkel Nygaard Ravn

Aug 31, 2019, 5:09:53 PM8/31/19
to Specification by Example
Thanks Gojko, for the quick reply.

Blimey! I didn't know I was looking for a buzzword... Or tool support for easily updating specs for that matter.

/Mikkel