Lunch, Drinks, Meetings, oh my! Re: Next Meeting! Mon 13th Feb

Hakim Cassimally

Jan 26, 2012, 5:00:49 AM1/26/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
OK, so:

1) Informal beers, tomorrow (Fri 27th Jan) after work (6pm ish)
probably at one of the pubs on either side of Bold Street, namely:

Shipping Forecast (Slater Street)
OR
Bier (Newington Temple, the pub that used to be the Ropewalks)

I'll very likely be there with some workmates, most probably. I'll be
there till 7pm, or later if anyone turns up ;-)

2)) DoES Liverpool is having an open meeting today Thu 26th at 12:30.
http://doesliverpool.com/groups/help-improve-does-liverpool-with-our-survey-and-open-meeting/

3) We're going for lunch tomorrow Fri 27th 12:30 at Paolo & Donato's:
http://groups.google.com/group/cathedral_valley/browse_thread/thread/47b332b18fae7c54

[Sean]: thanks for the info about pubs. My nephew is now being very
vague about when he's coming, sounds like it might be Monday 6th,
which is the Tottenham Hotspur game, google tells me. I'll ping you
if and when we end up going to a pub for footie anyway ;-)

On 25 January 2012 17:38, darran ling <dazzl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Informal beers sound a like a great start to the new year, if im
> around you can count me in.
>
> dazz
>
> On 1/24/12, Sean McHugh <strm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry - getting over-excited - I meant Wednesday is the Carling Cup
>> Liverpool Man City match.
>>
>> Saturday is the Man U match in the League and I haven't a cat's chance in
>> hell of getting tickets to either - i let my season ticket lapse when I
>> worked down south.
>>
>> But I always go to a pub to watch the laeague matches - just for the
>> atmosphere, dontcha know - and if your Mauritian nephew doesn't get lucky
>> I'd be happy to meet in a pub downtown
>>
>> Sean
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM, Hakim Cassimally <
>> hakim.ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ah, are you going to the Liverpool/ManU match?  My nephew from
>>> Mauritius is hoping to go (if his friend-of-friend-of-aunty has
>>> managed to get one).  Enjoy, and see you in Feb!

Hakim Cassimally

Jan 26, 2012, 5:37:40 AM1/26/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Change of plan: the drinks tomorrow will be at

1) Informal beers, tomorrow (Fri 27th Jan) after work (6pm ish)

Hannah's Bar, on Hardman Street (just up the hill from the Bombed Out Church)

as Liverpool tweep and Ignite organizer Mandy is having birthday drinks there,

On 26 January 2012 10:00, Hakim Cassimally <hakim.ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, so:
>
> 1) Informal beers, tomorrow (Fri 27th Jan) after work (6pm ish)
> probably at one of the pubs on either side of Bold Street, namely:
>

>   SNIP

Sean McHugh

Jan 26, 2012, 10:50:19 AM1/26/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hakim

Thanks for that.

Happy to come by for a drink tomorrow.

Text me which pub on 07506964781.

Sean

John Shipman

Jan 26, 2012, 5:15:59 PM1/26/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com

Hi folks, 6pm tomorrow I'm @ Twisted Tales till 8pm. Would be keen to catch up after. Meanwhile a bit peaved @ lack of writing by self. Although short on time, I don't think that's really to blame. Drastic action may be necessary!

Sean McHugh

Jan 29, 2012, 11:08:38 AM1/29/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hakim

i just put a few scenes of a sitcom up in the Dropbox.

Plus the reading of these scenes at the class i share with Ashley.

And the subsequent criticism and feedback.

Could you let me know if all this is working?

ie if the Dropbox is accessible.

BTW good time Friday - enjoyed that - thanks.

Regards

Sean

John Shipman

Feb 12, 2012, 1:52:56 PM2/12/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Folks,

Got the dropbox download, so will read tonight. Good for attending. Tho I am obviously an increasingly rubbish contributor!

I've also attached something I came across at a new Liverpool venue (which I was at for a show the other nite)

Al

C J Productions bring Writer’s Forum to The Lantern

From Wednesday 8th February The Lantern will be hosting a new writer’s forum. The group will meet fortnightly. Any level of experience welcome. The aim of the group is to offer mutual support in a friendly, creative environment, from rehearsed readings to full productions staged at The Lantern. Contact CJ Productions on 07916542967 or 07905572106 or the Lantern on 0151 703 0000 or e.mail in...@thelanterntheatre.co.uk

Sean McHugh

Feb 12, 2012, 5:21:29 PM2/12/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Hi people

The Lantern thing is out of Bill Dawson's screenwriting class run by Carole Meyer who is an experienced theatre backstage manager.

She's alright, Carole. I recommend.

Sean

osfameron

Feb 13, 2012, 3:53:14 AM2/13/12
to Liverpool Speculative Fiction Writing Group
Hi All!

Meeting is still on for tonight: so far, there's only Sean's
"Steampunk Sitcom" in the DropBox, but please bring along any short
pieces (or ideas) to discuss!

Hakim Cassimally

Feb 14, 2012, 5:10:33 PM2/14/12
to Liverpool Speculative Fiction Writing Group
Last night, me, Al, Sean, and Darran met and talked about, among other things:

* the hero's journey (for a change)
* film plotting versus TV/radio
* silent film (the Artist)
* churning out work (essays/plots etc.)

* Sean presented a scene from his "steampunk sitcom" (the revised
version, after comments from his current writing class). We enjoyed
the piece, discussed whether "starting with a bang" worked for a
sitcom, and thought that the premises had some mileage (time travel,
alternate realities, and the high-tech Dragons' Den investors funding
it all).

* Darran passed round a treatment for a radio drama fantasy sitcom
inspired by Hitchhiker's Guide, Lost, and a 60s show The Champions
<http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062551/>.
* sitcoms. People that hate each other but are trapped with each other anyway.
* Porridge - the perfect sitcom scenario
* Steptoe and son... in space! (Red Dwarf)

* Darran suggested that we should all enter
<http://circalit.com/screenplay/competitions/view/client/scifi> Good
luck, and may the best man/woman/kitten/vampire win!

* We discussed the idea of the specfic podcast. Both Sean and
Darran's pieces could work as regular features for this! (Assuming
Sean and Darran agree - I think Sean did, though this was over a few
beers, so perhaps we should double check ;-)
Idea is roughly:
* 5-10 minute episodes are enough to get teeth into it, but not too
much to make recording a pain.
* a podcast could have, for example, 2 regular features (such as
Sean & Darran's ideas) plus a handful of standalong pieces.
* for the regular pieces, Sean's format especially gives great
scope for people doing something very flexible (travel to any time!
and/or invention of the week in the Dragons' Den!) But of course the
original writer/group would be involved to make sure that the tone and
arc were developed in appropriate ways.
* we could do one podcast per month, and those of us who are
interested in producing it would meet for a second time during the
month to record it.

Does that sound anything like the way anyone else imagined it? ;-)

So... some story prompts:

1) [Darran/Sean]: write a first episode for your sitcoms!

2) Riffing on Sean's piece, a Dragons Den meeting, to invest in a
SpecFic invention.

3) Or any 5-10 minute play / short story for the podcast.

4) ... or, moving entirely away from Radio and with a nod to the
silent film the Artist, write a short silent (speculative) piece.

Sean McHugh

Feb 15, 2012, 5:39:47 AM2/15/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hakim and people

I have no problem with the podcast etc and riffing on the steampunk sitcom - which was only dreamt up for the  purposes of the screenwriting course. feel free to fool about with it.

In my vocabulary podcast is radio, rather than TV, is that what you intend, Hakim?

I don't mind, but my own trajectory is towards animation on YouTube. varying it to the extent of 5-7 min radio is OK but radio is a very different medium for those interested in contributing.

Sean

Hakim Cassimally

Feb 15, 2012, 5:43:09 AM2/15/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Re: Radio vs TV - yes, I think for the purpose of getting something
out, regularly, without an inhuman time commitment, radio is perfect.

It'll also give an opportunity to try out, and get feedback for, story
arcs, which would hopefully be great experience for when you (or
indeed anyone) wants to take on something more ambitious :-)

Sean McHugh

Feb 15, 2012, 6:02:52 AM2/15/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Thanks for that.