Next Speculative Fiction writer's group meeting, Monday 12th March, 7-9pm

Hakim Cassimally

Feb 23, 2012, 9:09:42 AM2/23/12
to does-li...@googlegroups.com, Liverpool Speculative Fiction Writing Group
Hi all,

Just to let you know that the next SpecFicLiv meeting will be:

*** Mon 12th November 7:00-9:00pm ***
DoES Liverpool, 4th floor, Gostin Building (offices, left of the retail part)
32-36 Hanover Street (between Central station and Liverpool ONE)
MAP + photo: http://bit.ly/Gostins
INFO: http://doesliverpool.com

If you're reading this on the DoES mailing list and would like more
info, why not join the google group at
http://groups.google.com/group/specficliv/ and say hello, or just
email me ;-) In summary, we usually discuss people's short
stories/plays/ideas in scifi/fantasy/other speculative genres, but all
are welcome, with or without a piece of writing!

Hakim

Hakim Cassimally

Feb 23, 2012, 9:12:32 AM2/23/12
to does-li...@googlegroups.com, Liverpool Speculative Fiction Writing Group
In case you're wondering, the subject line is correct, and the body
text wrong ;-)

The next meeting will be in *March*, duh :-)

*** Mon 12th March 7:00-9:00pm ***

On 23 February 2012 14:09, Hakim Cassimally <hakim.ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just to let you know that the next SpecFicLiv meeting will be:
>

> *** Mon 12th *March, oops* 7:00-9:00pm ***

Sean McHugh

Feb 23, 2012, 9:52:25 AM2/23/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hakim

Thanks for that.

FYI I went to the Lantern Writer's Workshop down by the docks at a little theatre called (dramatic pause) The Lantern. Yesterday, Wednesday 22nd Feb 6.30-8.30pm. My motive was to scout the place out for actors and green-screen movie production.

This place has a little bar, some actors hanging about and a little theatre and auditorium. Really an excellent small space to try dramas out in. The people running the set up are theatrically oriented: plays and performances preferred. There were a couple of dozen people there.

And that's where the good stuff ends.

They are overrun by the kind of poets who I thought existed only in sitcoms. They write poems designed to be treated as cryptic crosswords and assert their feelings as if these were life-changing insights or near-death experiences (which IMO came close). This crap was greeted by mutual back-slapping as the performers swooned in the glutinous deluge of praise from  equally challenged wordsmiths.

You are asked to join by signing a form which says "I have read and agreed the terms and conditions" : needless to say there is no document headed terms & conditions so you are signing a blank contract.

A shame really, as the readings by actors is especially useful.

Regards

Sean McHugh

darran ling

Feb 23, 2012, 11:11:36 AM2/23/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean.
Loved the write-up, sounds like basis for a great short story.
Pity it didnt live up to expectations.
darran

osfameron

Mar 1, 2012, 9:32:57 AM3/1/12
to Liverpool Speculative Fiction Writing Group
Just to remind you that the next meeting is in a few weeks on Mon 12th
March, so you have some time to write a story/etc. and send it to
DropBox or the mailing list!

Also, there will be an Open evening at DoES at the same time, so there
will be lots of people milling about.
However, we believe they will be mostly harmless.

We'll still meet at the usual place, but we'll probably decamp to the
side office for the SpecFic meeting, or to a neighbouring room.  If it
gets too much, we can always retire to a nice quiet pub ;-)

Cheers,
Hakim

On Feb 23, 2:12 pm, Hakim Cassimally <hakim.cassima...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> In case you're wondering, the subject line is correct, and the body
> text wrong ;-)
>
> The next meeting will be in *March*, duh :-)
>
> *** Mon 12th March 7:00-9:00pm ***
> DoES Liverpool, 4th floor, Gostin Building (offices, left of the retail part)
> 32-36 Hanover Street (between Central station and Liverpool ONE)
> MAP + photo:http://bit.ly/Gostins
> INFO:http://doesliverpool.com
>
> On 23 February 2012 14:09, Hakim Cassimally <hakim.cassima...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > Just to let you know that the next SpecFicLiv meeting will be:
>
> > *** Mon 12th *March, oops* 7:00-9:00pm ***
> > DoES Liverpool, 4th floor, Gostin Building (offices, left of the retail part)
> > 32-36 Hanover Street (between Central station and Liverpool ONE)
> > MAP + photo:http://bit.ly/Gostins
> > INFO:http://doesliverpool.com
>
> > If you're reading this on the DoES mailing list and would like more
> > info, why not join the google group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/specficliv/and say hello, or just

Hakim Cassimally

Apr 9, 2012, 6:33:27 AM4/9/12
to Liverpool Speculative Fiction Writing Group
Hello all,

I hope the Easter Bunny has been kind to you this year. I notice that
I've inadvertently schedule the next SpecFic for this evening.

I'm thinking, what with it being a bank holiday, that we should
postpone it. Was anyone already planning to turn up tonight, and will
be inconsolably bereft if I do that?

Cheers,

Sean McHugh

Apr 9, 2012, 6:44:33 AM4/9/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hakim

Inconsolably Bereft is my middle name: it helps to break the ice at parties.

Happy Easter

Sean

PS To whom it might concern; There is an acting course starting this Wednesday for would-be extras and future stars starting at The Merseyside Academy of Drama (Formerly the Actors' Studio) in The Cotton Factory a redbrick building  just on the right as you look up Vernon Street, off Dale Street, by the flyover. 7.30- 9.00pm, 10 sessions £12 each or £120 the lot.

darran ling

Apr 9, 2012, 9:40:08 AM4/9/12
to specf...@googlegroups.com
Too full of chocolate to move! Will put my ghost comedy episode 1 in drop box. Its a full 30 mins but dont expect anyone to get through it all.
The best bit of writing i have seen all weekend is by Gary Delaney; If friday is Good Friday when Jesus dies and Easter sunday is when he came back to life should the saturday inbetween be called Schrodinger Jesus day.
See you all at next meeting.
dazz

John Shipman

Apr 16, 2012, 5:22:07 PM4/16/12