Ayam Curtain OPEN CALL

sabersger

May 16, 2012, 10:33:26 PM5/16/12
to Speculative Fiction Writers of Singapore
In conjuction with Math Paper Press, we are assembling a collection of
very, very short speculative fiction stories to be published in the
second half of 2012. Anchor contributors to the anthology include Dave
Chua, Judith Huang, and Alvin Pang.

Speculative fiction is fiction that contains speculative elements —
things that are different from the world we live in. It covers the
genres of science fiction, fantasy, alternate history, horror etc.,
although it is certainly not limited to that. The Handmaid’s Tale is
speculative fiction. Midnight’s Children is speculative fiction. 1984
is speculative fiction. Anything with an imaginative element to it
falls under the broad umbrella of speculative fiction.

We are looking for stories of alternate worlds marinated with a local
flavour: Tell us your visions of an alternate Singapore. Airships?
Robots? Exciting new laws? Let your imagination take wing.

Our submissions fall into two categories:

Category I: SPEAKING BIRD LANGUAGE
From the branches above Orchard Road to the void decks where old men
with cages gather, bird share stories of fantastic realities they have
visited in a cacophony of tweets.
Send us microscopic glimpses into fantastical worlds of lengths
between 100-150 words.

Category II: THE AYAM CURTAIN
Numbering more than 23 billion across the globe, there are more
specimens of Gallus gallus, the domestic chicken, than any other bird
in the world. On paper, by the reckoning of numbers, they are a
runaway success as a species. But what utopias do they dream of, caged
in their factory farm coops?
Send us 500-1000 word stories of worlds where the boundaries have been
shifted in strange ways.
We’ve been asked if stories need to be bird- or chicken-themed: No,
they don’t have to be! Feel free to explore whatever nifty ideas you
have.
*~*~*~*
Submitted entries should:

be speculative fiction– fiction that largely contains elements of
science fiction, fantasy, horror, alternate history/reality, and
related genres.
be primarily written in (UK) English
be authored by Singaporeans or residents of Singapore (not
necessarily PRs).

The finer print:

Submissions are open between 1st April 2012 and 31st May 2012.
Multiple submissions are allowed.
Email your stories to specf...@gmail.com, with “AYAM CURTAIN +
(category name)”, AND your name in the subject.
Send submissions in a readable font, either in .rtf or .doc
formats. We don’t want .docx files, it makes some computers cough up
hairballs. Include title, your name, and pen-name (if applicable) in
the text of the document.
Please include a 50-word author biography in the submission email.
Selected authors will receive 5 complimentary copies of the
anthology, as well as a 40% discount on as many other copies they want
to buy.
Reprints are okay, as long as you have the rights with you. Do let
us know if you’re sending us a reprint.
All submissions chosen for the anthology may be edited.
The editors reserve the right to reject submissions based on
inappropriate content, including (but not limited to) excessively
graphic sex & violence, and disrespect towards individuals, groups,
cultures and religions.

send us your brainfruits

sabersger

May 20, 2012, 1:00:35 AM5/20/12
to Speculative Fiction Writers of Singapore
Realized there is an error (or that cut-and-past doesn't work on
Google Groups)...

email is specf...@gmail.com