Can you call Speakeasy's VOIP boxes directly rather than through POTS?

Bruno Wolff III

Aug 16, 2006, 5:23:01 PM8/16/06
Can you make calls to people using Speakeasy's VIOP boxes directly (peer to
peer) rather than using POTS, say with something like Asterisk?

Phil Karn

Apr 21, 2007, 6:54:58 AM4/21/07
to Bruno Wolff III
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> Can you make calls to people using Speakeasy's VIOP boxes directly (peer to
> peer) rather than using POTS, say with something like Asterisk?

Yes, I've done it with Gizmo Project, which speaks SIP. Place your call to

ten-digit-voi...@rcps.onvoip.net

When I do this from my home LAN, the voice packets actually go direct
between my laptop and my VoIP adapter. Pretty cool.

Bruno Wolff III

Apr 21, 2007, 2:33:28 PM4/21/07

Thanks. I was worried the problems I had trying it out before was some sort
of security feature to make sure calls went through Speakeasy. But instead
it appears I just wasn't doing things correctly. I won't be able to play
with this again for a while yet, but since it is possible I'll take
another look when I get a chance.