Easy way to try SPDY?

Jun OKAJIMA

Feb 8, 2010, 1:16:09 AM2/8/10
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
Could you tell me an easy way to try SPDY?

For example, with using Chromium Browser,
and if I access *.google.com, can I exprience and try
features of SPDY?

In other words, you have any SPDY-ready public web server?
If I access the server with Chromium Browser,
can I use SPDY?

--- Okajima, Jun. Tokyo, Japan.
http://www.chromium.jp

Mike Belshe

Feb 8, 2010, 11:52:42 AM2/8/10
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
It's not quite ready for end user testing like that; you have to put together your own client & server setups for now.

Mike

Andrew Meyer

Feb 11, 2015, 3:05:57 PM2/11/15
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
It's been 5 years. How about now? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this is supposed to work, but I haven't seen `spdy://` in any of my URLs lately, even though my browser and many web services claim to support it. How do I know whether the current page loaded with SPDY?

Ryan Sleevi

Feb 11, 2015, 3:52:35 PM2/11/15
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Andrew Meyer <andre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's been 5 years. How about now? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this is
> supposed to work, but I haven't seen `spdy://` in any of my URLs lately,
> even though my browser and many web services claim to support it. How do I
> know whether the current page loaded with SPDY?

There is not and will never be a spdy:// scheme

Note SPDY support is being removed from Chrome -
http://blog.chromium.org/2015/02/hello-http2-goodbye-spdy-http-is_9.html
- in favour of HTTP/2.

If you use https://yourpagehere.example.com , and your server supports
HTTP/2 (via ALPN), Chrome will use it. You can use
chrome://net-internals to see this.

If you want to know from script within your page, then what you want
is the (not implemented by anyone yet, AFAIK) proposed modification to
the Navigation Timing API, "nextHopProtocol" -
https://w3c.github.io/navigation-timing/#widl-PerformanceNavigationTiming-nextHopProtocol

As noted in the Status of that document (
https://w3c.github.io/navigation-timing/#h-sotd ), that proposal is
being discussed at public-...@w3.org

Robbie Shade

Feb 11, 2015, 4:00:24 PM2/11/15
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
A useful tool is the SPDY indicator extension which shows in the address bar which protocol (SPDY, HTTP2, QUIC) is currently being used:

--

---

Roberto Peon

Feb 11, 2015, 4:02:53 PM2/11/15
to spdy...@googlegroups.com
Since the thing which is being carried by SPDY (or HTTP/2 for that matter) has HTTP semantics and is interpreted using those semantics, the scheme remains HTTP in the browser, since that is the application-level protocol being used.
SPDY/HTTP/2 are effectively session-layer protocols, a layer below the application-layer protocol which just change how things look on the wire, but not how things look to the application.

There are some browser extensions you can install which will tell you if you're speaking SPDY to a particular site

Looks like Robbie beat me to it on those :)
-=R