Issue with Kojak searching of TPP v7.0.0

Zeyu Wang

May 24, 2024, 3:28:54 AMMay 24
to spctools-discuss
Hi,

Are there anyone using Kojak in the TPP v7.0.0 ?  Today I follow the instruction and try to run a quick test. But at the very beginning, it reports an error.

"Kojak version 2.1.0, October 16 2023 Copyright Michael Hoopmann, Institute for Systems Biology Visit http://kojak-ms.org for full documentation. ****** Begin Kojak Analysis ****** Time at start: Fri May 24 02:52:02 2024 Parameter file: c:/TPP/data/params/Kojak_2.conf 12 preconfigured crosslinkers. Reading FASTA database: c:/TPP/data/dbase/UP000005640_9606_20230222.fasta
  Total Proteins: 20594
  Adding Kojak-generated decoys. New Total Proteins: 41188
  5658462 peptides to search (2785870 linkable).

Fri May 24 02:52:45 2024 ERROR:
ERROR: cannot open \c:\TPP\data\Test_Kojak\E_ZW_LPS_XL_F10.kojak.txt for output. Please ensure path and write permissions are correct."

Is the error due to the output file path format? Or shall I adjust the read/write permission of the TPP?

Best,
Zeyu

David Shteynberg

May 24, 2024, 3:47:38 PMMay 24
to spctools-discuss
Hello Zeyu,

Thanks for your interest in TPP and Kojak.  Yes we maintain and use Kojak in the latest release.  To help us troubleshoot this problem, would you mind sharing the parameter file used in your test?

Thank you!
-David

Zeyu Wang

May 24, 2024, 4:07:21 PMMay 24
to spctools-discuss
Hi David,

Thank you! Here are the two kojak parameter files I tested (the original and the customized).  Link: Kojak_Troubleshooting .

Best,
Zeyu

David Shteynberg

May 24, 2024, 9:55:03 PMMay 24
to spctools-discuss
Hello again,

After a bit of digging I found that this is likely caused by a bug in the current TPP compiled and distributed version of Kojak that will have to be corrected for the next release.  Meanwhile you should be able to download and use the official Kojak build available here:  https://kojak-ms.systemsbiology.net/download.html

This version will require additional .net dependecies!

Please replace the current kojak executable in c:/TPP/bin with the executable from the zip file and try running kojak again.

Best of luck and keep us posted to your progress.

-David

Zeyu Wang

May 27, 2024, 11:12:09 AMMay 27
to spctools-discuss
Hi David,

Thanks! After replacing the current kojak.exe, It seems that now the kojak searching can continue without error message.

Best,
Zeyu

Zeyu Wang

May 28, 2024, 10:27:15 PMMay 28
to spctools-discuss
Hi all,

I notice another small issue (maybe this is my win11 problem?): when running Kojak within TPP, I set the threads to 24 or 28. However, in the task manager, I notice the main search was always running on exact CPU16-31, which seem to be E-cores of this 13900K. Did anyone notice similar problem?

Snipaste_2024-05-28_22-14-14.png
Snipaste_2024-05-28_22-15-57.png

Best,
Zeyu

David Shteynberg

May 28, 2024, 11:17:55 PMMay 28
to spctools...@googlegroups.com
Hello Zeyu,

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but if it helps I corrected the issue you identified in the previously distributed version compiled with gcc for the TPP distribution installer.

Perhaps this one exhibits a different behavior when running multi-threaded.  In my tests the two version ran nearly at the same speed on my computer.

Cheers,
-David

Zeyu Wang

May 28, 2024, 11:32:02 PMMay 28
to spctools-discuss
Hi David,

Thank you! I will replace the previous Kojak.exe (official build) with this new gcc compiled version and have a try.

Best,
Zeyu

Zeyu Wang

May 29, 2024, 12:21:45 AMMay 29
to spctools-discuss
Hi David,

I tested it with the new version. Now it works well, but CPU usage problem still exists. I change threads from 24, 20 to 16 and 8, but the TPP searching still uses E-cores. Perhaps it doesn't support P-Cores with Intel Hyper-Threading. I am just wondering what CPU you are using for Kojak.exe running.

Thanks again! Anyway, it can still run, though may take a bit longer time.

Best,
Zeyu

David Shteynberg

May 29, 2024, 10:52:42 PMMay 29
to spctools...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zeyu,

Thanks for testing this!  I recompiled another executable that should use more of the CPU during the search.  Can you please test it to see if this suits your needs?  Naturally, if you set the number of threads too high it might degrade the overall performance of your machine during the Kojak search.

It would interesting to compare the performance of before and after this change.  I am testing this on i9-13900H.

Cheers,
-David