Compilation on FreeBSD 14: Unable to determine target platform 😉

Robert Winkler

Jun 28, 2024, 2:03:01 PM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to spctools-discuss
Hi, I'm working on the next edition of MassyPup(64)

Of course,  the TPP should be included for proteomics data processing.
As platform, I have chosen a FreeBSD 14 this time.

In general, this is a very clean system for building. E.g. OpenMS is compiling since about 2 hours now without bothering me with warnings/errors. As well, R stuff (xcms, etc.) compiles well.

With the 'bleeding-edge 7.0+ TPP' I got, however a problem with the build configuration:
`gmake` results in
~~~
common.mk:147: *** Unable to determine target platform using $(CXX) -dumpmachine. Stop.
~~~
manually invoking `gcc -dumpmachine` gives `x86_64-portbld-freebsd14.0`

Is there an elegant way for convincing TPP to build?

Best, Robert

Luis Mendoza

Jun 29, 2024, 6:01:09 AM (4 days ago) Jun 29
to spctools...@googlegroups.com
Hello Robert,

Not sure that this is "elegant", but perhaps you can add the following two lines to common.mk, starting after line 132 (additions in red) :

else ifneq (,$(findstring linux, $(TARGET)))
   OS := Linux
else ifneq (,$(findstring freebsd, $(TARGET)))
   OS := Linux
else ifneq (,$(findstring darwin, $(TARGET)))
   OS := Darwin

Hope this does the trick!

Did previous versions of TPP compile fine in the same system?  We don't have much experience with FreeBSD.

Thanks for MassyPup's continued support of TPP!
--Luis

Robert Winkler

Jul 2, 2024, 1:16:13 PM (15 hours ago) Jul 2
to spctools-discuss
Thanks, Luis!

Sure. TPP is the gold standard for MS-based proteomics and a long-going community project.

Finally I had some other problems on FreeBSD (otherwise an excellent platform) and moved back to a Debionid system.

I hate boost.

Robert

Luis Mendoza

Jul 2, 2024, 10:12:31 PM (6 hours ago) Jul 2
to spctools...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,
Sorry to hear about the FreeBSD issues.  And agree on boost.
Thanks again for the kind words.  Cheers.
--Luis