Versioning and Multiple users?

Jacob Turner

May 22, 2014, 1:17:58 PM5/22/14
to spati...@googlegroups.com
Hello all.

I am trying to get an idea about how to design an enterprise GIS using the ArcGIS Desktop Basic (ArcView) software package.

I was wondering if ST Links offers the same Data Management capabilities as the ArcInfo/Standard ArcGIS desktop License?

The Standard (ArcInfo) Desktop package offers direct connectivity to databases and along with it:

1 Allows multiple users to simultaneously edit the same data

2 Manages your data in a multiuser enterprise geodatabase

3 Store historical snapshots of your data

4 Take advantage of complete GIS editing capabilities including interactive tools and templates

5 Automate the editing process

I read a list of featured functions on the ST Links website. ST links does not seem to support simultaneous user access and editing of the same data set. Is this true? How many of the items in the list above are covered if I install ST links? Anyone out there done this before that would like to share their experience? If I can avoid having to purchase Desktop Standard it would be nice.

Thanks in advance!
Jacob

Chun

Jun 10, 2014, 12:04:28 AM6/10/14
to spati...@googlegroups.com

1 Allows multiple users to simultaneously edit the same data

Yes. multiple users can edit the same data. However, only the last Save will be kept in database.

2 Manages your data in a multiuser enterprise geodatabase

Yes, the whole database is controlled by DBMS, not by ArcMap.

3 Store historical snapshots of your data

You have to do this in database level by DBA, not ArcMap.

4 Take advantage of complete GIS editing capabilities including interactive tools and templates

With ArcMap editor (or ArcMap standard version)

5 Automate the editing process

Not sure what this means.