Error: Unrecognised geometry type

Karl Zinglersen

Dec 2, 2013, 11:40:07 AM12/2/13
to spati...@googlegroups.com
I am getting this error message when Add ST Layer: "Error: Unrecognised geometry type."
I am able to connect to the database, schema and table.

Configuration:

PostgreSQL 9.2.4 with PostGIS 2.0.3

Spatial data is handled as geometry (not geography). In the view geometry_columns the data is recognized as 'GEOMETRY'

ArcMap/ArcGIS 10.2

Login rule in used is owner of table (and schema) holding the data, the view geometry_columns (and schema public) and the spatial_ref_sys table

Possibilities:

- PostGIS 2.0.3 not supported?

- Geometry type should be e.g. POLYGON or LINESTRING (like in previous PostGIS versions - I don't know if this is possible in PostGIS 2.0.x or everything is just 'GEOMETRY'.

I am able to open and alter data in QGIS.

I am new to ST_spatialkit and ArcMap, but have quite some experience in QGIS and PostGIS.

Karl Zinglersen

Cristian Olguín Avila

Dec 2, 2013, 2:50:08 PM12/2/13
to spati...@googlegroups.com
do you upload layer with st_spatialkit or use a existing layer?
bye

Karl Zinglersen

Dec 2, 2013, 2:54:22 PM12/2/13
to spati...@googlegroups.com
It's from existing table established through ogr2ogr and sql.
But I'll try to create one through st_spatialkit.

Karl

2013/12/2 Cristian Olguín Avila <cristia...@gmail.com>:
> Google Groups "SpatialKit" group.
> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/spatialkit/Bb9UYO_qFVg/unsubscribe.
Karl Brix Zinglersen

Cristian Olguín Avila

Dec 2, 2013, 3:07:20 PM12/2/13
to spati...@googlegroups.com
The layer have to be uploaded with st_spatialkit tools.

in forum.. I find this:
2. You can try to load feature class / shapefile by the SpatialKit loading tool to SQL Server /PostGIS ...

If you have problem to uploaded your data, its possible you have to create your own SRID or do you have problem with your system decimal symbol (change to "." instead of ",")
bye

Karl Zinglersen

Dec 2, 2013, 5:04:06 PM12/2/13
to spati...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks for the inputs! I will try it tomorrow morning at work again.

Karl Zinglersen

Dec 3, 2013, 8:26:26 AM12/3/13
to spati...@googlegroups.com
It worked out fine, of course.
If you at some point change the manual, it might be good to note, that the user would not be unable to use with previously configured tables unless their geometry columns are created as geometry(MultiLineString, srid) or similar. Alternatively a tool for "upgrading" the geometry columns to the types needed.

Karl

Karl Zinglersen

Dec 3, 2013, 11:25:44 AM12/3/13
to spati...@googlegroups.com
The user should bare in mind, that it is possible to create a new table to be used in st_spatialkit through sql lines in pgadmin, if
1) there is a unique id such as   "STID" integer NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('"tablename_STID_seq"'::regclass) ,
2) geometry such as  "geom geometry(MultiLineString,4326)"
3) there is at least one geometry in the table (eventually using an insert command or done in QGIS)

Only these geometry types seems to be allowed:
- MultiLineString
- MultiPolygon
- Point

However, I find this plugin really great - and dead cheap compared to a SDE license!
If you've first inhaled the PostGIS data, it seems like you are able to use it more or less any other data source.

Karl Zinglersen