announcement: June 2021 mid term update

Alessandro Furieri

Jun 24, 2021, 2:07:08 PM6/24/21
to SpatiaLite Users
Hi List,

during last weeks SpatiaLite was interested by several major
changes, and consequently a community testing phase seems to
be appropriate.

NOTE: this does not corresponds to any Release Candidate;
it's simply an intermediate experimental snapshot for
testing purposes.

you'll find an exhaustive description of all changes on
the following Wiki Page (including the instructions for
downloading the pre-built binaries for Windows):

short summary of the coolest things worth to be tested:

1. SpatiaLite now supports FreeXL 2.0, so it has acquired
   the capability to directly access modern spreadsheets
   based on the .xlsx format (MS Excel) or on the .ods
   format (Libre/Open Office Calc)

2. the previous VirtualKNN is now deprecated and no longer
   supported. the brand new VirtualKNN2 is intended to be
   a more efficient and faster full replacement for it.

3. and finally the most relevant architectural change.
   now mod_spaltialite has no longer any direct dependency
   on libsqlite3, and this is expected (hopefully) to
   definitely resolve many issues reported by developers
   and users using languages as Java, Python, PHP, C# .NET
   and alike.

Final consideration: any testing activity is welcome.
but extensively testing the latest mod_spatialite on
Java, Python an so on has a very special relevance.
Let me known your practical findings about all this.

happy testing,
Sandro

Maurizio Trevisani

Jun 24, 2021, 3:06:08 PM6/24/21
to spatialite-users
Thanks a lot!!!!

Totò Fiandaca

Jun 24, 2021, 3:18:18 PM6/24/21
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Grazie mille.

Scusami per la brevità, ti sto scrivendo dal cellulare

Andrea Peri

Jun 24, 2021, 4:20:00 PM6/24/21
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Sandro,

I'm glad to know this.

I just updated my server wms server with your spatialite fossil in the 20 june .
should I update to have last version ?

thx,
Andrea

I update my server , with last available from spatialite in the 20 june.
inin the 21 june

-----------------
Andrea Peri
. . . . . . . . .
qwerty àèìòù
-----------------

a.fu...@lqt.it

Jun 24, 2021, 4:25:18 PM6/24/21
On Thu, 24 Jun 2021 22:19:46 +0200, Andrea Peri wrote:
> Hi, Sandro,
>
> I'm glad to know this.
>
> I just updated my server wms server with your spatialite fossil in
> the
> 20 june .
> should I update to have last version ?

ciao Andrea,

yes, you should update yet another time because my last commit
supporting
KNN2 was on June 21

bye Sandro

Jeff McKenna

Jun 24, 2021, 4:27:42 PM6/24/21
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sandro, I'll do some build testing on Windows for this. Thanks for
your efforts,

-jeff

Andrea Peri

Jun 24, 2021, 5:01:17 PM6/24/21
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
👍

Pedro Camargo

Jun 24, 2021, 9:21:34 PM6/24/21
to spatialite-users, alessandrofurieri
Bravo!!

---- On Fri, 25 Jun 2021 04:07:08 +1000 Alessandro Furieri <alessandr...@gmail.com> wrote ----

Andrea Borruso

Jun 26, 2021, 4:43:49 AM6/26/21
to SpatiaLite Users
Grazie mille

Duncan

Jul 5, 2021, 12:37:37 AM7/5/21
to SpatiaLite Users
Thanks Sandro

 The new KNN2 function can now easily replace the spatial index query for speed and simplicity for me, with added useful info

bric...@outlook.com

Jul 6, 2021, 3:54:04 PM7/6/21
to SpatiaLite Users
Thanks! I did some testing in C# on .NET Core with SQLitePCLRaw (the library behind SQLite-net and Microsoft.Data.Sqlite) and things appear to be working now. (Even with PROJ enabled!)

a.fu...@lqt.it

Jul 7, 2021, 2:36:54 AM7/7/21
On Tue, 6 Jul 2021 12:54:04 -0700 (PDT), bric...@outlook.com wrote:
> Thanks! I did some testing in C# on .NET Core with SQLitePCLRaw (the
> library behind SQLite-net and Microsoft.Data.Sqlite) and things
> appear
> to be working now. (Even with PROJ enabled!)

a very good new: it seems really encouraging

thanks for your tests,
Sandro