ForcePolygonCCW and others missing?

Jukka Rahkonen

Feb 26, 2021, 2:24:11 PM2/26/21
to SpatiaLite Users

Hi,

I tried to use function ST_ForcePolygonCCW with two spatialite-gui versions, one with spatialite 4.3.0a and another with version 5.0.0-beta0. Both versions claim that there is no such function even it is documented in http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/spatialite-sql-latest.html. Same applies to other functions that deal with orientation of polygons. Are they dropped intentionally or by accident?

-Jukka Rahkonen-

a.fu...@lqt.it

Feb 26, 2021, 4:07:28 PM2/26/21
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jukka,

please note: the spatialite-sql-latest.html documentations
corresponds to the latest 5.0.1

the first implementation of ST_ForcePolygonCCW() and related was
committed during October 2017, so for sure it couldn't be supported
by 4.3.0a that was released on June 2015.
it should be probably supported by 5.0.0-beta0 that was released
on August 2018, but I'm not really sure if your GUI tool was
based on the released package or on some earlier development
snapshot.

just for the sake of my personal curiosity, why you are still
using obsolete versions ?

if you are looking for a reasonably fresh pre-compiled spatialite_gui
for Windows you can download the most recent version based on 5.0.0

http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/windows-bin-x86-prev/spatialite_gui-NG-5.0.0-win-x86.7z
http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/windows-bin-amd64-prev/spatialite_gui-NG-5.0.0-win-amd64.7z

bye Sandro

Jukka Rahkonen

Feb 26, 2021, 5:51:15 PM2/26/21
to SpatiaLite Users
Hi,

I was having a look at this GDAL ticket https://github.com/OSGeo/gdal/issues/3497 and experimenting with the same Spatialite versions that most GDAL Windows users have. My OSGeo4W installation, updated 2021-01-19, has still 4.3.0 and the binaries from gisinternals.com come with 5.0.0.  But I was indeed all too lazy with my trials, the gisinternals package with released version 5.0.0. does have ForcePolygonCCW and I could have checked that the previous 4.3a version was published long before this conversation https://groups.google.com/g/spatialite-users/c/jOYFaHzLYf4.

I will probably keep the older spatialite-gui available also in the future just because it allows to update the attributes of GeoPackage tables and the tool is sometimes more handy than DB Browser for SQLite. The new spatialite-gui seems to open GeoPackage tables as read only. I know, user must be careful.

Everything fine now.