Compiling GUI

Bruchy

Aug 9, 2021, 6:09:19 PM8/9/21
to SpatiaLite Users
Hi,
since there are no Windows binaries anywhere and the readme file contains nothing helpful:
What is the command line code for compiling Spatialite GUI with MinGW or MinGW-w64????????
Thanks

Konstantin Podsvirov

Aug 10, 2021, 12:30:29 AM8/10/21
to SpatiaLite Users
Spatialite GUI distributed via MSYS2 on Windows.
Compiling instructions there and there.

--
Regards,
Konstantin

вторник, 10 августа 2021 г. в 01:09:19 UTC+3, Bruchy:

Bruchy

Aug 10, 2021, 3:08:30 AM8/10/21
to SpatiaLite Users
I read this before. Nothing else than errors like No such file, CreateProcess failed, Interrupt/exception caught, No rule to make target...
The mentioned pacman steps at the beginning also don't work.   pacman -S --needed base-devel   -->  error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database),  error: could not lock database: Permission denied

The linked MSys2 package can't be installed with the given pacman command:   error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
error: could not lock database: Permission denied

a.fu...@lqt.it

Aug 10, 2021, 3:38:58 AM8/10/21
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 00:08:30 -0700 (PDT), Bruchy wrote:
> I read this before. Nothing else than errors like No such file,
> CreateProcess failed, Interrupt/exception caught, No rule to make
> target...
> The mentioned pacman steps at the beginning also don't work. pacman
> -S
> --needed base-devel --> error: failed to init transaction (unable to
> lock database), error: could not lock database: Permission denied
>
> The linked MSys2 package can't be installed with the given pacman
> command: error: failed to init transaction (unable to lock database)
>
> error: could not lock database: Permission denied

it's really odd, because usually Pacman works as expected on Windows 10

in a very general way a previous installation can negatively impact
the process, and some antivirus can forbid the installation.

the following link may possibly help you resolve you troubles:

https://github.com/msys2/MSYS2-packages/issues/1298

here you can find a list of potentially harmful softwares:

https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.bloda

bye Sandro

Bruchy

Aug 10, 2021, 10:07:31 AM8/10/21
to SpatiaLite Users
OK, running Pacman as admin solved at least the pacman problem. Installed the packages from the How-to and all dependencies from the GUI-package above.
5 GB. Ending up with pacman -S mingw-w64-x86_64-spatialite-gui   -->  error: target not found: mingw-w64-x86_64-spatialite-gui
The same for 32 bit.  Windows is 8.1.

Bruchy

Aug 10, 2021, 6:12:03 PM8/10/21
to SpatiaLite Users
I stopped this endless waste of time and deleted all 5 GB of software garbage. I'm tired of reading incomplete instructions and flooding my harddisk with useless Linux emulation software.

Not even step 1 of the instruction worked. Compiling libiconv with the exact commands from the How-to leads to 840 lines of messages (including 31 matches for "error"), but no dll-file. The same with proj-8.

Congratulations! You tried to make quite simple things hard as possible to make use of your software, and you had success. A graphic database without graphics, perfect! Like TeX without PDF or DVI. Or an engine without a car.
I recommend to remove all remaining Windows binaries to increase the pain of Windows users even more and increase the happyness of Linux users. The links to the example databases are already dead.

To be honest: I suppose you put extremely much work into this project, and it's very sad, that missing avalability of easy usable essential parts will restrict it to self-compiling-Linux-nerds.
You have the experience, knowledge and software to help potential users. It would take you an half hour to create and upload all binaries for Windows or Mac, but you expect every single user to spend hours of work. Why?
SQLite is available for so many platforms, and even the extensions are so easy to compile. SQLite is a huge standard, but Spatialite will never be.

Pedro Camargo

Aug 10, 2021, 6:25:57 PM8/10/21
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com, jimbe...@gmail.com
Bruchy,

As an open-source developer (of a much different package), I feel obliged to say that your entitlement would laughable if you were not so disrespectful towards Spatialite developers.

You have wasted everyone's time with your antics and have not even realized that there are many GIS software out there that you could be using to manipulate/visualize your GIS data while maintaining SQL support (e.g. QGIS).

Why don't you do everyone a favor and go purchase some proprietary software and leave the group.  Will you?

Pedro Camargo

---- On Wed, 11 Aug 2021 08:12:03 +1000 jimbe...@gmail.com wrote ----

a.fu...@lqt.it

Aug 11, 2021, 1:58:04 AM8/11/21
On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:12:03 -0700 (PDT), Bruchy wrote:
> I stopped this endless waste of time and deleted all 5 GB of software
> garbage. I'm tired of reading incomplete instructions and flooding my
> harddisk with useless Linux emulation software.

Hi Bruchy,

I can easily understand your frustration: when i started using
MinGW and MSYS on Windows (over 10 years ago) I had to sweat hard
for several weeks before being able to reasonably master the whole
thing.

Honestly it's not an user friendly environment, and it surely
requires a very deep competence and comprehension about both
Linux and Windows, a not so trivial requirement.
but it's a wonderful and incredibly powerful development
envirorment, which will generously pay off all the initial
efforts once that you learn how to use it in the right way.

That said: I'm really impressed with your emotional outburst;
in more than 10 years of life of this mailing list it never
happened to me to read so many technically incompetent
considerations expressed in such a rude and uncivilized way.
Congratulations, you have set a new (negative) record.

> To be honest: I suppose you put extremely much work into this
> project,
> and it's very sad, that missing avalability of easy usable essential
> parts will restrict it to self-compiling-Linux-nerds.

this is absolutely not true, there is some gross misunderstanding.

1) all major Linux distributions support SpatiaLite as a set
of standard system packages being automatically updated
when required.

2) on MacOs SpatiaLite is directly supported by HomeBrew,
the major packaging system distributing free sw on Mac

3) for Win32 and Win64 platforms SpatiaLite itself delivers
windows precompiled executables for every released version

3.bis) MSYS2 is now going to directly distribute its own
binaries for Windows.

as you can easily see, compiling the code from sources it's
more the exception than the rule, and is only required if
you desperately need to test the latest "unstable" branch
still under active development, it's not the expected
way for regular users.

just a personal question: I'm completely unable to undestand
why you've choosen to not follow options 3) or 3.bis) (the
easiest and painless way) deciding instead to adventure yourself
in a custom build from sources without having the required technical
skills (and even worst, refusing to spend time for patiently
studying and learning an unfamiliar development environment).

> You have the experience, knowledge and software to help potential
> users. It would take you an half hour to create and upload all
> binaries for Windows or Mac, but you expect every single user to
> spend
> hours of work. Why?

because I'm not your slave and you are not my master.
you'll be authorized for giving me orders and directives only when
you'll pay for my time for what it's worth.
for now, be content with taking what has been kindly given to you;
you are not obliged to be satisfied if you do not like it, but at
least show respect towards those who dedicate (absolutely for
free) part of their professional time for you too.

just for punctualizing: creating windows packages it's not a
task requiring half an hour; it requires about a full day.
and there is absolutely no need to support Mac Os because
it's already covered by HomeBrew.
I'm absolutely not expecting users to spend hours for
compiling their binaries; it's you that decided to
follow the hardest way having easier alternatives. why ?

bye Sandro

p.s. as you reported you've used a Win 8.1 system for
your failed attempts to use MSYS2 and MinGW.
8.1 has a well deserved reputation for being one the
worst operating systems ever released, but even more
important it's nowadays no longer supported.
I've the strong suspect that using a more recent
Windows 10 (possibly a clean fresh installation) MSYS2
will surely run in a much smoother way ... I've never
heard before anyone complaining for so much troubles
about MSYS2 and MinGW.

Bruchy

Aug 11, 2021, 2:42:34 AM8/11/21
to SpatiaLite Users
Hi,
I'm not disrepectful toward Spatialite developers, absolutely not!!! I suppose it's a great piece of software, at the very long list of its functions made me totally curious.
I wanted to check if Spatialite can support me in improving data with geographical references to get rid of Excel. Not directly GIS, but GIS-related.
I need a GUI for that (not a complete GIS), and I can't get one, because the hurdles for me as a normal user (not developer) are extremely high. So the very first steps to get in touch aren't possible.
But I'll do everyone a favor and leave.  Sorry to all for wasting your time.
@Sandro: Thank you for your long answer! I understand most of your points, but not your question about option 3).
What is the easier alternative when there's only source code available?
Bye with best wishes for further success of your project

Jukka Rahkonen

Aug 11, 2021, 4:44:32 AM8/11/21
to SpatiaLite Users
Hi,

-Jukka Rahkonen-

a.fu...@lqt.it

Aug 11, 2021, 1:15:42 PM8/11/21
On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 23:42:34 -0700 (PDT), Bruchy wrote:
> I wanted to check if Spatialite can support me in improving data with
> geographical references to get rid of Excel. Not directly GIS, but
> GIS-related.

Bruchy,

SpatiaLite was invented exactly for this; a pure data processing
tool with advanced "spatial" capabilities but without the complexity
of classic desktop GIS apps.

> I need a GUI for that (not a complete GIS)

I fully agree with you; I personally use just spatialite_gui
alone for 99.99% of my own professional activities.

> and I can't get one

probably because you've not searched in the right place.

> What is the easier alternative when there's only source code
> available?

there is some obvious misundertanding.

http://www.gaia-gis.it/gaia-sins/windows-bin-x86-prev/spatialite_gui-NG-5.0.0-win-x86.7z

this is the more recent "stable" version released last year

https://www.gaia-gis.it/fossil/libspatialite/wiki?name=June+2021+update&p

and here you can download the latest snapshot of the current
development "unstable" version (that's robust enough after all).

> But I'll do everyone a favor and leave. Sorry to all for wasting your
> time.

nobody is banning you; you are always welcome if you commit yourself
to respect the elementary rules of netiquette.

bye Sandro