after ten years of placid and uneventful bug fixing maintenance a new
major version of FreeXL is now ready to be delivered.
- MS Excel binary formats (.xls suffix) still continue to be supported
exactly as in previous versions.
- but now also the most modern Spreadsheets based on XML formats can
be directly accessed:
* MS Excel (*.xlsx suffix) are supported.
* Libre/OpenOffice Calc (*.ods suffix) are supported as well.
the source tarballs of the first Release Candidate are available
libspatialite has already been adapted so to fully support the
extended capabilities of FreeXL-2.0:
- the VirtualXL driver is now able to indifferently access *.xls,
*.xlsx or *.ods Spreadsheets.
- the same is for the SQL function ImportXLS()
all related changes are already committed into the Fossil repository.
Tech Note for builders and packagers:
FreeXL-2.0 has two further dependencies:
- libexpat is required for XML parsing
- minizip is required for directly reading from the
compressed .xlsx and .ods formats.
both libraries are supported by all major Linux distros;
in any case you can eventually disable any support for .xlsx
and .ods documents by passing to the .configure script the
Tech Note for building on Windows:
1. using MinGW and MSYS2: please chek
2. using MSVC: you'll find into the source tarballs two
build scripts intended for NMAKE:
Note: both libiconv and libexpat are supported by
OSGeo4W, but minizip is not currently supported.
BUilding minizip on MSVC is basically simple:
a) download the most recent sources from here:
b) then use CMAKE for building and installing.