Release announcement: FreeXL 2.0

Alessandro Furieri

Jun 14, 2021, 4:24:40 AMJun 14
to SpatiaLite Users
Hi List,

after ten years of placid and uneventful bug fixing maintenance a new
major version of FreeXL is now ready to be delivered.

FreeXL-2.0
====================
- MS Excel binary formats (.xls suffix) still continue to be supported
  exactly as in previous versions.
- but now also the most modern Spreadsheets based on XML formats can
  be directly accessed:
  * MS Excel (*.xlsx suffix) are supported.
  * Libre/OpenOffice Calc (*.ods suffix) are supported as well.

the source tarballs of the first Release Candidate are available
from here:

libspatialite has already been adapted so to fully support the
extended capabilities of FreeXL-2.0:
- the VirtualXL driver is now able to indifferently access *.xls,
  *.xlsx or *.ods Spreadsheets.
- the same is for the SQL function ImportXLS()
all related changes are already committed into the Fossil repository.

Tech Note for builders and packagers:
=====================================
FreeXL-2.0 has two further dependencies:
- libexpat is required for XML parsing
- minizip is required for directly reading from the
  compressed .xlsx and .ods formats.

both libraries are supported by all major Linux distros;
in any case you can eventually disable any support for .xlsx
and .ods documents by passing to the .configure script the
--disable-xmldocs option.

Tech Note for building on Windows:
==================================
1. using MinGW and MSYS2: please chek
   and

2. using MSVC: you'll find into the source tarballs two
   build scripts intended for NMAKE:
   makefile.vc (32 bit)
   makefile64.vc (64 bit)

   Note: both libiconv and libexpat are supported by
   OSGeo4W, but minizip is not currently supported.
   BUilding minizip on MSVC is basically simple:
   a) download the most recent sources from here:
   b) then use CMAKE for building and installing.

Happy testing,
Sandro

Bas Couwenberg

Jun 15, 2021, 7:58:18 AMJun 15
to SpatiaLite Users
On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 10:24:40 AM UTC+2 Alessandro Furieri wrote:
FreeXL-2.0
====================
- MS Excel binary formats (.xls suffix) still continue to be supported
  exactly as in previous versions.
- but now also the most modern Spreadsheets based on XML formats can
  be directly accessed:
  * MS Excel (*.xlsx suffix) are supported.
  * Libre/OpenOffice Calc (*.ods suffix) are supported as well.

Why was the SONAME bumped (from libfreexl.so.1 to libfreexl.so.3) if the MS Excel format support was not changed?

Kind Regards,

Bas

a.fu...@lqt.it

Jun 16, 2021, 4:14:57 AMJun 16
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 04:58:18 -0700 (PDT), Bas Couwenberg wrote:
> Why was the SONAME bumped (from libfreexl.so.1 to libfreexl.so.3) if
> the MS Excel format support was not changed?

Hi Bas,

once again struggling with the infamous SONAME :-P

1. it was previously defined as
-version-info 2:0:1

2. the new version preserves all the existing API
exactly as they were, and introduces few new
API required by the .xlsx and .ods formats

3. consequently I supposed that the new version
should declare -version-info 3:0:0, but I was
obviously wrong

which is the expected SONAME in this case ?

thanks in advance,
Sandro

Even Rouault

Jun 16, 2021, 9:27:58 AMJun 16
to spatiali...@googlegroups.com, a.fu...@lqt.it
Sandro,

The recipee for updating libtool version-info is at https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html .

"3. If the library source code has changed at all since the last update, then increment revision", so 2:0:1 ==> 2:1:1

"4. If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the last update, increment current, and set revision to 0.", so 2:1:1 ==> 3:0:1

"5. If any interfaces have been added since the last public release, then increment age. " , so 3:0:1 ==> 3:0:2

"6. If any interfaces have been removed or changed since the last public release, then set age to 0": doesn't apply, so finally is 3:0:2

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com

a.fu...@lqt.it

Jun 16, 2021, 11:21:36 AMJun 16
to Even Rouault, spatiali...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 16 Jun 2021 15:27:55 +0200, Even Rouault wrote:
> Sandro,
>
> The recipee for updating libtool version-info is at
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html
> [1] .
>
> ------------------------- <snip> ----------------------
>
> "3. If the library source code has changed at all since the last
> update, then increment revision", so 2:0:1 ==> 2:1:1
> "4. If any interfaces have been added, removed, or changed since the
> last update, increment current, and set revision to 0.", so 2:1:1 ==>
> 3:0:1
> "6. If any interfaces have been removed or changed since the last
> public release, then set age to 0": doesn't apply, so finally is
> 3:0:2

Even, thanks a lot

I knew I missed some stupid detail :-P

bye,