Re: Question about SparshUI and Win7 Driver

Jay Roltgen

Jun 3, 2010, 9:47:47 AM6/3/10
to Jérémy, spar...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

Currently, we have not found a way to write a Win7 driver without using the transparent frame.  The problem with writing the driver is that you cannot install a global hook in the OS to catch all touch events - you must register a specific window to receive the events.

If anyone else out there knows how to do this or thinks I'm wrong, please reply to this thread.

Jeremy, depending on the hardware you have, you might be able to write or use a driver for your hardware which talks directly to the hardware and doesn't use Windows 7.  Currently we support the following hardware:
 - HP TouchSmart (NextWindow), 3M Touch display, IRTouch bezel, Stantum 15.4" SMK.

What hardware do you have?

~Jay

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:55 AM, Jérémy <jeremy...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I'm a french student and i try to use SparshUi library in Java with
Win7.
I downloaded JavaGestureServer and PhotoOrganizer to try SparshUi lib.
It works only if i execute SparshUI_Win7_Driver_0.1a with the
transparent frame on top.
I would like to develop my own application using SparshUi but i don't
wish to have this transparent frame.
How can i do this ?

Best regards

Djé

Jun 3, 2010, 10:57:22 AM6/3/10
to Jay Roltgen, spar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply.
When you said : "you must register a specific window to receive the events", why can't we have a JFrame to receive the events ?

MT4J lib use dll and JNI in order to catch WM_TOUCH and WM_GESTURE event, so i think that it is possible to catch event without the transparent frame. I decided to use SparshUI lib because I can easily use Swing Component.

If i develop my own application in Java with SparshUI, i will run automatically the gesture server and SparshUI_Win7_Driver_0.1a.exe, but i don't know how i can develop my application to keep the transparent frame on top.

Regarding the hardware, I wish to develop a hardware independant application.
I wish to use Windows 7 to abstract the hardware specification.
For information, my touchscreen is SAMSUNG SyncMaster LD220Z (NextWindow 1950).

Best regards

Jay

Jun 3, 2010, 12:01:14 PM6/3/10
to sparsh-ui
I haven't had any personal experience with MT4j, but I know other
people use it and have good success. If you can register for the
WM_TOUCH events through JNI on the JFrame, that sounds like a good
route to go - you could set up the app to run as both an input device
and a client application with Sparsh-UI.

Regrettably, I no longer have the code for the SparshWin7 driver -
however, it was an extremely simple application to write. I wrote it
in C# and used this thread as an example: http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/4087/

~Jay

Farid Ravaei

Jul 11, 2010, 11:57:52 AM7/11/10
to sparsh-ui
Where is HP Touchsmart (NextWindow) driver. I would like to use it
with Sparsh-UI GuestureServer for Toronto Film Festival interactive
kiosk.

Stephen Gilbert

Jul 11, 2010, 9:03:13 PM7/11/10
to spar...@googlegroups.com
You can find a c++ driver here in google code

trunk/Jmol/src/com/sparshui/cpp/HPTouchSmart/JmolMultiTouchDriver.cpp

or

http://www.google.com/codesearch/p?hl=en#wpbC2E5aiBI/trunk/Jmol/src/com/sparshui/cpp/HPTouchSmart/JmolMultiTouchDriver.cpp&q=touchsmart&sa=N&cd=1&ct=rc

Stephen

Robert Hanson

Jul 12, 2010, 12:19:35 PM7/12/10
to spar...@googlegroups.com
ps -- since that's what I adapted for Jmol, it may need some tweaking for general use. Read the header comments before implementing.

--Bob Hanson
--
Robert M. Hanson
Professor of Chemistry

-- Josiah Willard Gibbs, Lecture XXX, Monday, February 5, 1900

Jay Roltgen

Jul 12, 2010, 4:59:33 PM7/12/10
to spar...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have uploaded the Sparsh-UI NextWindow driver as a download on the googlecode website.  It should be available on the downloads page in a few minutes.

~Jay

Farid Ravaei

Jul 13, 2010, 5:17:42 PM7/13/10
to sparsh-ui
Thanks Jay,

I downloaded NextWindow driver and installed it on my Windows 7 (HP
Touchsmart). It doesn't send events to the GuestureServer. Looks like
can't get connected with NextWindow USB dll. Any hints or idea? Should
it work with standard GuestureServer?

Axel?

Farid