MSK144

Trevor Smithers

Oct 17, 2021, 10:09:02 AM10/17/21
to SparkSDR
Alan
Back in 2019 there was a discussion about adding MSK144 to Spark. At the time you thought this might be difficult to implement.
Now that we have access to VHF with the RSP receivers is there any possibility in revisiting ?

73 Trevor  G0KTN

ahop...@googlemail.com

Oct 17, 2021, 1:21:51 PM10/17/21
to SparkSDR
Hi Trevor,
That's got my brain going on a lazy Sunday afternoon (could be a song in that :) ). From what I recall the problem was that the wsjtx decoder does not let me pass a file like it does for the other modes so it really involves creating a decoder from scratch.  This is less of a job than it was then as much of the level 0 wspr and ft8 decoders can be reused.  I have a plan to enable plugin decoders so others can create them, maybe this could be a demo.  I shall ponder.  Just read  MSK144_Protocol_QEX.pdf (princeton.edu) which does not have quite enough, I have to avoid looking at the source so may have to ask the WSJTX gang for the LDPC tables. I've not yet searched for other non GPL licensed decoders, if anyone knows of one or fancies writing one that would be great.

The other option would be to suggest a better way to interface to wsjtx but I suspect the only way to make that happen is to write the wsjtx side of the code and then convince them it is worth supporting.

73 Alan M0NNB

Message has been deleted