CW Output Level Depends on Tune Drive

Karl Heinz Kremer - K5KHK

Nov 23, 2022, 4:05:52 PM11/23/22
to SparkSDR
Hi Alan,

I was just banging my head against my keyboard for the last half hour or so: I had not used my HL2 for CW in a while, but I used to get all 5W that the HL will produce. My output power was down to 0.17W or so. After touching every slider or control that could potentially change the output power, and verifying that I was still getting full power with digital signals from WSJTX, I changed the tune drive setting and voila, the power was back.

I must have reduced the tune drive some time ago, and I either did not notice that my CW power output was down, or didn’t make any CW contacts after that.

Is this by design, and I just never realized it, or is this something that should not affect CW operations?

Thanks,
Karl Heinz - K5KHK

ahop...@googlemail.com

Nov 23, 2022, 5:08:31 PM11/23/22
to SparkSDR
Hi Karl,
it certainly is not meant to work like that, I shall have a look.
73 Alan M0NNB

Karl Heinz Kremer

Nov 23, 2022, 10:34:22 PM11/23/22
to ahop...@googlemail.com, SparkSDR
That’s what I thought. I did make use of this “feature” to set the power output so that my HR50 amplifier generates 50W - and yes, I know that there is a gain control, but this slider is easier to use ;)

Karl Heinz - K5KHK

On Nov 23, 2022, at 5:08 PM, 'ahop...@googlemail.com' via SparkSDR <spar...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi Karl,

ahop...@googlemail.com

Nov 24, 2022, 7:04:44 AM11/24/22
to SparkSDR
Hi Karl,
I can't reproduce this, I get 5w+ out with tune drive set to 0 (or anything) and the main drive full up.  Now it is working does reducing tune drive stop it again?
73 Alan M0NNB

Mike Brown

Nov 24, 2022, 6:44:52 PM11/24/22
to SparkSDR
Hi Alan

I've just seen an even more anomalous CW result with 2.0.29.0, trying out a new key I picked up at a club junk sale.

Keying my HL2 using the front panel key socket I was seeing 6w output on keydown no matter what the drive or tune levels were set to. Even with both at zero I was getting 6w out. (And I've never seen 6w from my HL2 before!). See attached screenshot.

Trying the macros I got sidetone but no RF output. At the end however the sidetone stayed on continuously. No TX output, just sidetone. Briefly keying the rig with the CW key cleared the sidetone. It is possible I tripped it up by keying a macro before the current one finished keying out. (Too late in the day to test now I'm afraid.)

After restarting SparkSDR I got similar anomalous 6W behaviour. This time when a macro was playing I increased the drive level and saw RF output. Sidetone did not get stuck on.

Here's the error log:

24/11/2022 23:04:18 v2.0.29.0
cwdaemon
The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.
System.Net.Sockets
Void ThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, System.Threading.CancellationToken)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.ThrowException(SocketError , CancellationToken )
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.AwaitableSocketAsyncEventArgs.System.Threading.Tasks.Sources.IValueTaskSource<System.Net.Sockets.SocketReceiveFromResult>.GetResult(Int16 )
   at System.Threading.Tasks.ValueTask`1.ValueTaskSourceAsTask.<>c.<.cctor>b__4_0(Object )
--- End of stack trace from previous location ---
   at System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient.<ReceiveAsync>g__WaitAndWrap|61_0(Task`1 )
   at radio.CWDaemon.receiveAsync()
--

The key is wired correctly for the HL2 BTW, with the contacts wired between tip and ground of the 3.5mm jack plug.

I went back to v2.0.7.4 and found similar results. The sidetone didn't get stuck on after the macro ran, although I haven't tried hitting multiple macro buttons.

73

Mike
G4RAA

2022-11-24 (1).png