SparkSDR running 2 radios (different hardware) Hermes + SDRplay

PE3ES / F4VTQ

Feb 25, 2023, 6:28:24 AM2/25/23
to SparkSDR
I am experimenting with 2 separate instances of SparkSDr running Hermes Lite v2 9RX WSPR and SDRplayRSP1a running all low bands in a 10 MHz BW doing parallel WSPR + FT8 decoders. In this way I can choose a separate profile for each radio and stopping and starting the hardware separately as well.

Now I have setup Andy's sparksdr2wsjtx-udp script and this only recognizes 1 (the first) SparkSDR opening a Websockets interface. Even when setting different names for the Websocket server like Spark-H and Spark-R.

So I switched back to using only 1 SparkSDR instance.

But when you start that you can only choose 1 profile, I can not start the radios independently and choose a profile per radio.
So now I have to setup both radios and create a combined super profile consisting of all settings for both radios.

Would it be logical for SparkSDR to support a setup where the use of 2 or more different hardwares (radios) could offer the option to choose a profile per radio ? Instead of the overall profile for the SparkSDR instance.

Or should this be solved at the level of Andy's script, but then SparkSDR should be able to create a recognizable new Websocket server when a new SparkSDR instance is opened.

Hope the above makes sense
Erwin

Roger David Powers

Feb 25, 2023, 7:48:13 AM2/25/23
to SparkSDR
I just saw this message after the last one and would say I don't know the answer to your question, but it's the right question to ask.

Some questions for you, since we seem to be trying the same things:

My copy of sparksdr might be old, does the current one support multiple profiles?  All mine seems to have is 'last session'.

And do you find any issues with HL2 and 9 receivers?  I haven't tried anything but the default four receiver gateware on my "monitoring" HL2 in a long time.

I am using a pretty old computer and am finding that it uses a lot of resources just to run the (sparksdr + sparksdr2wsjtx) software for four decodes.  I am getting a more modern computer in a week or two.  How many cores and memory do you need to keep 9 decodes going?  What CPU do you use?

Regards,
RDP

ahop...@googlemail.com

Feb 25, 2023, 9:29:05 AM2/25/23
to SparkSDR
Hi,
I had not considered running websockets on two copies at once, I shall tweak it to allow that, currently they will try to start on the same port and I guess the second one will fail.
I have long intended to tweak the profiles so you can effectively merge them by loading more than one at a time.
73 Alan M0NNB

ahop...@googlemail.com

Feb 25, 2023, 9:29:37 AM2/25/23
to SparkSDR
Hi Roger,
if it has last session it will also allow you to save your own profiles by opening favourites, type a name and click the save profile button, this will save the state of all current running radios and virtual receivers and add it to the front page.
73 Alan M0NNB

PE3ES / F4VTQ

Feb 28, 2023, 9:00:24 AM2/28/23
to SparkSDR
I added the 2 separate profiles to a new folder in the profiles tree and renamed one of these radio2. That works fine.

PE3ES / F4VTQ

Feb 28, 2023, 9:23:36 AM2/28/23
to SparkSDR
With regard to running all these decoders in parallel, my Raspberry Pi 4B could not keep up. So I switched to a self build pc

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core processor (12 threads) and 16 GB
For quite a few of the 12 the utilization goes to 100% when decoding, this takes about 10 seconds at most every 2 minutes on wspr. In total 16 channels or so and some FT8 in parallel.
At the same time the PC is also doing other things like GridTracker, 1 band WSJTx wspr decoding for a QDX