tx drive control

Bertalan Eged

Mar 1, 2024, 4:13:05 AMMar 1
to SparkSDR
Dear All, what is the relationship with the tx drive control on the radio settings panel
and on the virtual radio panel? It seems the one on the radio panel has no effect...
tks,
/Bertalan

Josh Logan

Mar 1, 2024, 2:40:12 PMMar 1
to Bertalan Eged, SparkSDR

Tune Drive in the ... menu is for pressing the Note symbol.  It allows the tune button to run at a different drive than the virtual transceiver.

73, KD7HGL
Josh

Bertalan Eged

Mar 1, 2024, 3:35:11 PMMar 1
to SparkSDR
Hi Josh, yes I see that it works this way, but what is the function of the drive control on the virtual transceiver panel in this case?
Maybe in the ... menu is a global radio/hw settings, while on the panel you can control separately the drive level for each virtual transceiver (but it do nothing now, bug?)
If this upper ... menu is the global radio settings and same for all virtual panels, may it is worth to move it to the top men bar next to the general settings...
this is just a user interface design question, but it is very great and efficient so far, congrats and thank you for contributors...
73, HA6QU/AI6VB
/Bertalan

Josh Logan

Mar 2, 2024, 11:10:40 PMMar 2
to Bertalan Eged, SparkSDR

The Tune Drive is not an overall drive.  It's just the level of the tone when you press the tune button, any slice.
The slice drive is per slice, and not limited by the tune drive.

In my case I run the Tune Drive at ~160 to get 10 watts from my first stage amp.
I run my slice drive much higher to make contacts (170-200+, depends on the band).
If you have an amplifier that needs more drive on 80m you can have that slice at a higher drive, or if you are monitoring with FreeDV you can keep that at 0 since you are only monitoring.

Think of the slice drive as extended flexibility.  If you only run 1 slice is is not needed, but increases flexibility

73, KD7HGL
Josh