Mac OS Ventura

Duncan MacDonald

Jun 27, 2023, 5:04:32 PM6/27/23
to SparkSDR
Hi all,

I have tried to get SparkSDR running on my Mac under Ventura but SparkSDR will not recognise my RSP Duo despite having the SDRPlay API installed as well as Soapy SDR.  The mac is seeing the Duo through SoapySDR Util.

When I install SparkSDR into Applications and then run it from there, the program starts but I get no radio listed and the refresh button appears not to do anything.  Uninstalling everything and starting again makes no difference.

Has anyone else had any experience of this or thoughts as to why SparkSDR might not be seeing the radio?

All the best,
Duncan

ahop...@googlemail.com

Jun 27, 2023, 5:13:27 PM6/27/23
to SparkSDR
Hi Duncan,
is there anything in the log files, it might be worth enabling extended logging in general settings and restarting.
73 Alan M0NNB

Duncan MacDonald

Jun 27, 2023, 5:36:58 PM6/27/23
to SparkSDR
Hi Alan,

No errorlog OSX is being generated and I have no SparkSDR folder in Application Support.  I wonder if it is not installing correctly from the expanded archive file downloaded from the website?

All the best,
Duncan

ahop...@googlemail.com

Jun 28, 2023, 3:12:35 AM6/28/23
to SparkSDR
Hi Duncan,
It is very odd if files are not being written somewhere, they should be in  ~/Library/Application Support/SparkSDR/errorlogs . Do you see the 'Last Session' button on restarting on the main screen, if so that would indicate files are being saved.
Which version are you using?
73 Alan M0NNB

Duncan MacDonald

Jun 28, 2023, 6:07:22 AM6/28/23
to SparkSDR
Hi Alan,

No, there is no last session button just the 4 “standard” ones on the top bar.

I’m using Mac version 2.0.33 and unarchiving that into Applications.  There seems to be no install process associated with that; it just unarchives SparkSDR.app with no other process.   I suspect that there is something amiss with the way it is being installed?

73,
Duncan GM5JET

ahop...@googlemail.com

Jun 29, 2023, 3:27:52 AM6/29/23
to SparkSDR
Hi Duncan,
I think the install process should be ok, it does not need to install anything else.  To see if it is writing logs and settings anywhere can you set extended logging in the general settings (gear wheel) then restart, if it is still set on then things are being saved somewhere. A search for preferences.json might find the location.  If we can find the logs that will hopefully give a clue, if things are not being saved I shall have to think harder:)  Maybe Ventura hides files away.
Has anyone else had success with Ventura?
73 Alan M0NNB

Dan Porter

Jun 29, 2023, 5:53:42 AM6/29/23
to SparkSDR

Hi Alan,

I’m running SparkSDR 2.0.951 on macOS Ventura 13.4.1 on a M1 MacBook Pro without issues. The config files are all in ~/Library/Application Support/SparkSDR as expected. I don’t remember anything unusual about the install process.

73, Dan AI2M

Duncan MacDonald

Jun 29, 2023, 3:57:57 PM6/29/23
to SparkSDR
Hi Alan and Dan,

For some reason, SparkSDR is not installing the config files to my local computer and a search does not find preferences.json and there is no SparSDR folder in ~/Library/Application Support

Dan; did you simply download the app.zip file and extract it using the Archive utility into Applications or did you use a different extraction program?  I suspect that I am doing something blindly stupid here.

System info

Model Name: iMac

  Model Identifier: iMac19,2

  Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i3

  Processor Speed: 3.6 GHz

  Number of Processors: 1

  Total Number of Cores: 4

  L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

  L3 Cache: 6 MB

  Memory: 8 GB

OS: Ventura 13.4

73

Duncan GM5JET

Dan Porter

Jun 29, 2023, 6:13:54 PM6/29/23
to SparkSDR

Hi Duncan,

I think I probably extracted it right in my Downloads folder and then just dragged the app into my Applications folder.

I see you are using the 2.0.33 stable release while I’m running a recent beta if that makes any difference.

73, Dan

ahop...@googlemail.com

Jun 30, 2023, 2:02:29 AM6/30/23
to SparkSDR
Hi Duncan,
can you confirm what happens to the extended logging tick box if you tick it and then restart?
73 Alan M0NNB

Duncan MacDonald

Jun 30, 2023, 12:16:41 PM6/30/23
to SparkSDR
Hi Alan,

The tick remains in the box but Last Session is still absent.  I have searched for preferences.json and the mac still cannot find this anywhere on the computer.

Thanks Dan.  I have tried removing the lates stable release and installing the same version as you, and in the same way, but the same problems remain.

I'm at a bit of a loss now as to what could be blocking the program from populating the necessary files to run correctly!

73,
Duncan GM5JET

ahop...@googlemail.com

Jun 30, 2023, 12:53:07 PM6/30/23
to SparkSDR
Hi Duncan,
the fact that the tick remains means files are being saved somewhere, maybe some security feature hides them. I've not checked but the last session may not be there because there were no radios detected, I suspect the sw is installed correctly but something is preventing sdplay being detected, which version did you install?.  As an experiment you could try   https://www.sparksdr.com/download/SparkSDR.2.0.951.osx.zip just in case some magic happens.
73 Alan M0NNB

Mario Vano

Jul 24, 2023, 11:16:10 AM7/24/23
to SparkSDR
I'm trying to get it going on MacOS Monterey (12.6.7) on Intel 2015 15inch Retina MacBook Pro  with an SDRPlay 2.0 on Soapy via the latest SDRPlay API.

Here's the log file. It looks like discovery is quitting prematurely. I have no other SDR's on this system.

mpv-mbpro:errorlogs mvano$ cat log-2023-07-24-10-03-26.txt

7/24/2023 10:03:26 AM v2.0.33.0

Sending Discovery on 127.0.0.1:51948

7/24/2023 10:03:26 AM v2.0.33.0

Error in discovery send

Can't assign requested address

System.Net.Sockets

Void UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, System.String)

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(SocketError , String )

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SendTo(Byte[] , Int32 , Int32 , SocketFlags , EndPoint )

   at System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient.Send(Byte[] , Int32 , IPEndPoint )

   at radio.HpsdrController.discover()

--

7/24/2023 10:03:26 AM v2.0.33.0

Sending Discovery on 10.0.0.240:65146

7/24/2023 10:03:26 AM v2.0.33.0

Error in direct discovery

Permission denied

System.Net.Sockets

Void UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, System.String)

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(SocketError , String )

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SendTo(Byte[] , Int32 , Int32 , SocketFlags , EndPoint )

   at System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient.Send(Byte[] , Int32 , IPEndPoint )

   at radio.HpsdrController.discover()

--

7/24/2023 10:03:32 AM v2.0.33.0

[...]

mpv-mbpro:errorlogs mvano$ SoapySDRUtil --f

##     Soapy SDR -- the SDR abstraction library     ##

Found device 0

  driver = sdrplay

  label = SDRplay Dev0 RSP2 1705007E20

##     Soapy SDR -- the SDR abstraction library     ##

Probe device

[INFO] devIdx: 0

[INFO] hwVer: 2

-- Device identification

  driver=SDRplay

  hardware=1705007E20

  sdrplay_api_api_version=0.000000

  sdrplay_api_hw_version=2

-- Peripheral summary

  Channels: 1 Rx, 0 Tx

  Timestamps: NO

  Other Settings:

     * RF Gain Select - RF Gain Select

       [key=rfgain_sel, default=4, type=string, options=(0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)]

     * IQ Correction - IQ Correction Control

       [key=iqcorr_ctrl, default=true, type=bool]

     * AGC Setpoint - AGC Setpoint (dBfs)

       [key=agc_setpoint, default=-30, type=int, range=[-60, 0]]

     * ExtRef Enable - External Reference Control

       [key=extref_ctrl, default=true, type=bool]

     * BiasT Enable - BiasT Control

       [key=biasT_ctrl, default=true, type=bool]

     * RfNotch Enable - RF Notch Filter Control

       [key=rfnotch_ctrl, default=true, type=bool]

-- RX Channel 0

  Full-duplex: NO

  Supports AGC: YES

  Stream formats: CS16, CF32

  Native format: CS16 [full-scale=32767]

  Antennas: Antenna A, Antenna B, Hi-Z

  Corrections: DC removal

  Full gain range: [0, 47] dB

    IFGR gain range: [20, 59] dB

    RFGR gain range: [0, 8] dB

  Full freq range: [0.001, 2000] MHz

    RF freq range: [0.001, 2000] MHz

    CORR freq range:  MHz

  Sample rates: 0.0625, 0.125, 0.25, 0.5, 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 MSps

  Filter bandwidths: 0.2, 0.3, 0.6, 1.536, 5, 6, 7, 8 MHz

any ideas?

AE0GL

ahop...@googlemail.com

Jul 29, 2023, 4:58:14 AM7/29/23
to SparkSDR
Hi,
sorry this is not working for you, could you try turning on extended logging and restart, hopefully this will indicate if it is trying to load the sdrplay drivers.
73 Alan M0NNB

Message has been deleted

ahop...@googlemail.com

Aug 1, 2023, 11:09:27 AM8/1/23
to SparkSDR
Hi,

copied here as google blocked it.

Here's what I get with the new version:

mpv-mbpro:errorlogs mvano$ cat log-2023-07-30-10-15-18.txt

7/30/2023 10:15:18 AM v2.0.966.0

Sending Discovery on 127.0.0.1:53312

7/30/2023 10:15:18 AM v2.0.966.0

Error in discovery send

Can't assign requested address

System.Net.Sockets

Void UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, Boolean, System.String)

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(SocketError, Boolean , String )

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SendTo(Byte[], Int32, Int32, SocketFlags, EndPoint)

   at System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient.Send(Byte[], Int32, IPEndPoint )

   at radio.HpsdrController.discover()

--

7/30/2023 10:15:18 AM v2.0.966.0

Sending Discovery on 10.0.0.240:52924

7/30/2023 10:15:18 AM v2.0.966.0

Error in direct discovery

Permission denied

System.Net.Sockets

Void UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(System.Net.Sockets.SocketError, Boolean, System.String)

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(SocketError, Boolean , String )

   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.SendTo(Byte[], Int32, Int32, SocketFlags, EndPoint)

   at System.Net.Sockets.UdpClient.Send(Byte[], Int32, IPEndPoint )

   at radio.HpsdrController.discover()

--

7/30/2023 10:15:25 AM v2.0.966.0

[...]

are there corelog files? these should have the details of the sdrplay errors.
73 Alan M0NNB