JS8

ea8ee

Nov 11, 2022, 6:20:06 AM11/11/22
to spar...@googlegroups.com

Any chance to implement Js8?

Mailtrack Remitente notificado con
Mailtrack
11/11/22, 11:19:46

ahop...@googlemail.com

Nov 11, 2022, 6:46:38 AM11/11/22
to SparkSDR
Hi,
I did start adding JS8 years ago, I'm not sure why it never got finished. I shall have another look.  I imagine you can still use DigiU mode and vac to the JS8 program, I've not tested for a long time.
73 Alan M0NNB

Steve Haynal

Dec 11, 2022, 11:03:11 PM12/11/22
to SparkSDR
Hi Alan,

Any progress with JS8 skimming support? It is now the 3rd highest source of spots on psk reporter.

73,

Steve
kf7o

ahop...@googlemail.com

Dec 13, 2022, 2:39:15 AM12/13/22
to SparkSDR
Hi Steve,
I just had a look at my last attempt at this and it does not look like much work to finish it. I'll have a go over the holiday.
73 Alan M0NNB

ahop...@googlemail.com

Jan 7, 2023, 6:39:35 AMJan 7
to SparkSDR
Hi Steve and group,
version 2.0.938 has both an inbuilt low cpu JS8 decoder (level 0) and will use JS8Call if installed for higher levels.  I think I have got as far as I can in decoding this without looking at the gpl source code.  It would be nice to enable tx and full operation, I've emailed the author of JS8Call but so far have not heard anything.  It does decode one form of free text message but does not attempt to join the parts together, these are the messages listed with no callsign.

If the higher levels don't work on mac/linux you may need to edit preferences.json to set the path to js8 as previous versions may have written a windows path to that field.

A degree of guesswork was involved in getting this to work so please report any oddities.

73 Alan M0NNB

Steve Haynal

Jan 8, 2023, 2:01:40 AMJan 8
to SparkSDR
Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot! I have it running now with the inbuilt decoder on linux-864. I'll let you know how it goes.

73,

Steve
kf7o

VE7PPE

Jan 30, 2023, 5:19:08 PM (yesterday) Jan 30
to SparkSDR
Hi,

I'm currently testing the JS8 on your newest release.  Seems to be picking up spots on 40m, especially this morning.

What would it take to be able to push @APRS messages up to APRS-IS?  Being that JS8 implements APRS as receive only, it would be beneficial to use my SDRPlay with SparkSDR as a fill-in IGate in addition to FT8 & WSPR

Thanks,

ahop...@googlemail.com

Jan 30, 2023, 6:23:39 PM (yesterday) Jan 30
to SparkSDR
Hi, that is an interesting idea, I just found a video on sending aprs position via JS8Call, are these the messages you mean?  They appear to be 2 part messages that hopefully I can decode.  There are some messages I can't decode at the moment without looking at the source and there are possible license issues with that, I've not heard from the author yet.
73 Alan M0NNB

VE7PPE

Jan 30, 2023, 7:18:21 PM (yesterday) Jan 30
to SparkSDR
Yup, one can send position, email, sms, spot yourself for POTA/SOTA all via using the @APRS group in JS8.  Then hopefully picked up by volunteer IGate --> APRS-IS.  My goal is to provide another IGate to fill-in on 40m (NVIS) or 20m/30m/80m where there are much less APRS IGates in JS8.

I was using my transceiver before, but prefer to use a SDR receiver at 150ma at QTH, then can operate portable knowing there is at least one JS8 IGate reachable