Ubuntu 2204 high processor use

Andrew Cowan

Aug 10, 2022, 7:12:50 AM8/10/22
to SparkSDR
All,
Just started using this fine program on ubuntu 22.04 which is my RX receiving server.
Mostly using wspr and came across the benefits of SparkSDR as I have a number of RSP's.
Questions has anyone have issues with using a lot of processing power as in 100% the machine is a ryzen7 mini pc.
So as an experiment I ran SparkSDR on windows 11 great very power efficient.
Don't want to use windows 11 and a virtual window for linux if I can help it.

Thanks all
GM0UDL  Andrew

ahop...@googlemail.com

Aug 10, 2022, 12:41:29 PM8/10/22
to SparkSDR
Hi Andrew,
I'll look into this, I have not looked at cpu use on linux with RSPs, maybe there is a driver issue. I have noticed linux and mac versions use a little more cpu than windows and have put this down to the Avalonia gui library I use (and have hoped it would get improved upstream) but your case sound more severe.  I won't be near a linux machine for a week or so.  Using the minimum radio bandwidth/sample rate needed can help a bit, I also have something in the pipeline to reduce cpu with multiple RSP high bandwidth receivers.
73 Alan M0NNB

Andrew Cowan

Aug 10, 2022, 1:22:04 PM8/10/22
to ahop...@googlemail.com, SparkSDR
Alan

Spot on I have vnc loaded (if that helps) on the pc and version 22.04 was chosen for compatibility with Wsprdaemon which I run with the Kiwi's.
Running the same machine in windows just now testing with 2 rsp's duo and dx sits around SparkSDR 3% sdr api around 10%
Anything I can do to minimize cpu is great its going to be my low band rx on the winter 136Khz 475Khz with RSP dx 1.8Mhz and 3.5Mhz with RSP duo.
I just switch between 2 different drives in the bios to chose operating system
Thanks
Andrew GM0UDL