WSJT-X connection

David Taylor GM8ARV

Sep 24, 2022, 2:57:43 AM9/24/22
to SparkSDR
Yes, a third post!  I have SparkSDR installed and working on decoding CW as a first step.  I would now like to try WSPR, and I have WSJT-X 2.5.4 installed in the default location, including the file jt9.exe.  What I don't understand is how to link the two programs.  I've looked for a basic guide to this but not found it so far!  If there is a simple guide, perhaps someone could point me to that?  Topics like: does wsjtx.exe need to be running (I guess not), where to the results appear?

Many thanks,
David

ahop...@googlemail.com

Sep 24, 2022, 3:55:19 AM9/24/22
to SparkSDR
Hi David,
If you want to use the WSPR mode in spark you should not need to do anything other than select the mode. If WSJTX is not installed it will still work if you use the level 0 decode level.  There is a WSPR section in the help file that might help.  WSJTX does not need to be running.  If you don't get decodes it is most likely you pc clock is off.

An alternative approach is to use the DigiU mode and connect to a running copy of WSJTX, the Cat control section of the help describes this.
73 Alan M0NNB

David Taylor

Sep 24, 2022, 6:56:21 AM9/24/22
to spar...@googlegroups.com
On 24/09/2022 08:55, 'ahop...@googlemail.com' via SparkSDR wrote:
> Hi David,
> If you want to use the WSPR mode in spark you should not need to do anything
> other than select the mode. If WSJTX is not installed it will still work if you
> use the level 0 decode level.  There is a WSPR section in the help file that
> might help.  WSJTX does not need to be running.  If you don't get decodes it is
> most likely you pc clock is off.
>
> An alternative approach is to use the DigiU mode and connect to a running copy
> of WSJTX, the Cat control section of the help describes this.
> 73 Alan M0NNB

Thanks, Alan. The PC clock here is correct usually to within the millisecond:

https://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/kiruna_ntp_2.html

The plot has 0.5 ms added to the measured value as MRTG doesn't plot negative
values. The PC has NTP running with a local PPS feed.

I have a rather high local noise level here, so perhaps my impression that WSPR
was more robust than FT8 was mistaken.

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu