IMPORTANT: Spark mailing lists moving to Apache by September 1st

Matei Zaharia

Jul 23, 2013, 6:00:32 PM7/23/13
to spark...@googlegroups.com, spark-de...@googlegroups.com

As part of Spark's recent move to Apache, we are planning to migrate the mailing lists to Apache infrastructure this month, so that the current Google groups will become read-only on September 1, 2013. To keep receiving updates about Spark or to participate in development discussions, please subscribe to the following lists:

Get help using Spark or contribute to the project on our mailing lists:

Most users will probably want the User list, but individuals interested in contributing code to the project should also subscribe to the Dev list.

After September 1st, we'll try to make the Google Groups mirror the Apache list so you can still read updates on them, but it's not yet clear whether this will be possible. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for bearing with us.

Matei

Evan Chan

Jul 24, 2013, 7:27:12 PM7/24/13
to spark-de...@googlegroups.com, spark...@googlegroups.com
I'm not able to subscribe:

     dev-sc.1374707752.eciikkjecnggoomplmjm-ev=ooyala.com@spark.incubator.apache.org

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain spark.incubator.apache.org by mx1.eu.apache.org[192.87.106.230].

The error that the other server returned was:
552 spam score (6.3) exceeded threshold (HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_16,HTML_MESSAGE,HTML_SHORT_LINK_IMG_2,RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW,SPF_PASS,URIBL_BLACK

Jul 24, 2013, 7:56:58 PM7/24/13
to spark-de...@googlegroups.com, Mattmann, Chris A (398J)
Hey Chris, I'm really sad to report that other people's gmail addresses are getting bounced from the apache mailing lists because they are getting labeled as spam (if you remember, this happened to me too).

Do you know if infra has run into this much in the past? Or if they can teak anything to turn down the spam filters for us?

Andy

Evan Chan

Jul 24, 2013, 8:22:41 PM7/24/13
to spark-de...@googlegroups.com, Mattmann, Chris A (398J)

Evan Chan
Staff Engineer
e...@ooyala.com  |

Matei Zaharia

Jul 24, 2013, 8:29:06 PM7/24/13
to spark-de...@googlegroups.com, Mattmann, Chris A (398J)
The list is actually called "user", not "users" -- that's the problem. email user-su...@spark.incubator.apache.org.

Matei

Ryan LeCompte

Aug 17, 2013, 2:39:06 PM8/17/13
to spark...@googlegroups.com, spark...@googlegroups.com, spark-de...@googlegroups.com
Can you elaborate?

On Aug 17, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Barry Kaplan <mem...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is a BIG downgrade.

Evan Chan

Aug 19, 2013, 7:15:47 PM8/19/13
to spark-de...@googlegroups.com, spark...@googlegroups.com
I still can't post to d...@spark.incubator.apache.org:

In general though, besides the spam filtering, there are many ways that the apache list is much worse:
- No central site to go to to search messages
- Sending messages and searching is separated
- There may be some archival sites for messages, but you cannot respond to old messages or revive an old thread, unless you have subscribed to the mailing list

I can personally attest that I have never succeeded in emailing Apache projects consistently.   I doubt I'm the only one that is constantly frustrated by the Apache mailing lists.

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain spark.incubator.apache.org by mx1.us.apache.org. [140.211.11.136].

The error that the other server returned was:
552 spam score (6.0) exceeded threshold (HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_20,HTML_MESSAGE,HTML_SHORT_LINK_IMG_3,RCVD_IN_DNSWL_LOW,SPF_PASS,T_REMOTE_IMAGE,URIBL_BLACK

Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:10:41 -0700
Subject: Moving to Scala 2.10
From: Evan Chan <e...@ooyala.com>
To: "d...@spark.incubator.apache.org" <d...@spark.incubator.apache.org>
<http://www.ooyala.com/>
<http://www.facebook.com/ooyala><http://www.linkedin.com/company/ooyala><http://www.twitter.com/ooyala>

Matei Zaharia

Aug 20, 2013, 1:10:06 AM8/20/13
to spark-de...@googlegroups.com, spark...@googlegroups.com
Evan, did you subscribe to the list by emailing dev-su...@incubator.apache.org?

It also seems to dislike HTML emails.. maybe you can set it to email this in plain text.

Unfortunately I don't believe we have an option to use another type of list because Apache wants to own its infrastructure. One thing that may work is mirroring the messages onto this one, but I'll have to look into it.

Matei

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Spark Developers" group.

Andy Konwinski

Aug 20, 2013, 1:23:47 AM8/20/13
to spark-de...@googlegroups.com, spark...@googlegroups.com
Or could we just subscribe that list to this one so that all of the messages are mirrored onto it?

Andy

Evan Chan

Aug 20, 2013, 2:12:50 AM8/20/13
to spark-de...@googlegroups.com, spark...@googlegroups.com
The plain-text mode was what did it. Looks like HTML emails just sets
off the spam detector.

Yes, if the google list could somehow mirror the apache one, and if
replies to the google list automatically go to the apache one, that
would make things work really well.

thanks!
Evan

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:10 PM, Matei Zaharia <matei....@gmail.com> wrote:
> <CADWPM3gPTWxEJW9N=aV9Gp-kvtNzBiNg6q=7o7LSuJ...@mail.gmail.com>
> Subject: Moving to Scala 2.10
> From: Evan Chan <e...@ooyala.com>
> To: "d...@spark.incubator.apache.org" <d...@spark.incubator.apache.org>
> <http://www.ooyala.com/>
> <http://www.facebook.com/ooyala><http://www.linkedin.com/company/ooyala><http://www.twitter.com/ooyala>
>
> On Saturday, August 17, 2013 11:39:06 AM UTC-7, Ryan LeCompte wrote:
>>
>> Can you elaborate?
>>
>> On Aug 17, 2013, at 11:02 AM, Barry Kaplan <mem...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is a BIG downgrade.
>>
>> --