Last version / Suspended?

Evans Thompson

Jul 7, 2012, 4:10:36 PM7/7/12
to spanni...@googlegroups.com
I just noticed the update to 3.3 with the notification it's the last version and to see

http://spanningsync.com/suspended for more details. It currently directs to the Sales Suspended blog post. I know there are issues with 10.7.4 and calendars.

SpanningSync has been one of my most reliable ways to not only sync my Macs but with Google (which then syncs with everything else).

Is there a recommendation for syncing calendars and contacts with Google now? I foresee trouble ahead if not.

Thanks,

Evans

Larry Hendricks

Jul 7, 2012, 7:11:39 PM7/7/12
to spanni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Evans,

As far as alternatives go:

- Apple's built-in sync. This solution has its own set of issues and isn't as configurable as SS, but it's there, it's free, and it should work.
- BusyCal. Not free and requires using a 3rd party calendar app, but people seem to like it.

Hope that helps.

Evans Thompson

Jul 7, 2012, 8:39:06 PM7/7/12
to spanni...@googlegroups.com
I took a look at SyncMate, too. It wanted to change WAY too many contacts and events, so I canceled the sync.

Google's gone mute on syncing contacts with a Desktop app. http://www.google.com/sync/index.html They just discuss Mail and Calendar for the desktop.

Apple says if you do enable Sync with Google to do it on only 1 Mac and if you sync to iCloud, it'll turn off the Google sync and don't use both. (http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4625)

SpanningSync and Google were the only things that let me reliably keep contacts and calendars in sync across 2 Macs, 2 PCs, 2 iOS devices, and 1 Android device.

Oh well, that's something I'll have to figure out next week, not this weekend.

Evans

Evans Thompson

Jul 7, 2012, 9:04:28 PM7/7/12
to spanni...@googlegroups.com
I did find a blog post on having multiple Google calendars appear in iCal with CalDAV: http://jonathansblog.co.uk/multiple-google-calendars-in-ical-osx-lion

Hershel Safer

Jul 7, 2012, 9:29:57 PM7/7/12
to spanni...@googlegroups.com
So is this definitely a final version, or only a temporary stop while Apple works out a fix to its sync functionality?

Hershel

Evans Thompson

Jul 9, 2012, 9:34:13 AM7/9/12
to spanni...@googlegroups.com
It might not be a "bug." Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but this smells of Apple really wanting people to embrace iCloud for everything. It can sync Macs, PCs, and iOS devices.

They (Apple) has provided ways for people to sync natively with Google. Lion will automatically setup mail, Address Book, and iCal and Mail from the Mail, Contacts & Calendars preference pane. They aren't "hindering" people from using non-Apple services but instead making it "easier" and native.

From experience, I know that SpanningSync and Google have been more accurate at keeping everything in sync. Google Sync works on more mobile devices than iCloud and Apple and offers PC solutions. SpanningSync was the missing link for Macs.

The Apple & Google/Android battle is really heating up. This seems to me like a shot across the bow.

Evans

Damian

Jul 18, 2012, 9:04:07 PM7/18/12
to spanni...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to know this too. Blog says  "Temporarily suspended" while the release notes say "final version".

byron.shaheen

Jul 24, 2012, 11:39:58 AM7/24/12
to Spanning Sync

Grant Linneberg

Jul 24, 2012, 11:45:19 AM7/24/12
to spanni...@googlegroups.com
Hi-

I'm sorry to see this happen. I'd bought a lifetime license for my wife
and it's been great at keeping her ical synced to my google cals. We've
been very happy with your product and thank you for making our lives easier.

If you're no longer in the syncing business, do you have any
recommendations about what we can use moving forward?

Thanks,

Grant

byron.shaheen

Jul 24, 2012, 12:00:50 PM7/24/12
to Spanning Sync
Hi Grant,

From Larry's post above:

"As far as alternatives go:
- Apple's built-in sync. This solution has its own set of issues and
isn't
as configurable as SS, but it's there, it's free, and it should work.
- BusyCal. Not free and requires using a 3rd party calendar app, but
people
seem to like it."

-Byron

---