What is spam ? Lets understand it.

akd

Aug 9, 2006, 10:00:34 AM8/9/06
to Spam Free World by Data Infocom Limited - A mission
Web definition : To indiscriminately send unsolicited, unwanted,
irrelevant, or inappropriate messages, especially commercial
advertising in mass quantities

Webopedia : Electronic junk mail or junk newsgroup postings. Some
people define spam even more generally as any unsolicited e-mail.
However, if a long-lost brother finds your e-mail address and sends you
a message, this could hardly be called spam, even though it's
unsolicited. Real spam is generally e-mail advertising for some product
sent to a mailing list or newsgroup.

Nobody wants it or ever asks for it.
No one ever eats it; it is the first item to be pushed to the side when
eating the entree.
Sometimes it is actually tasty, like 1% of junk mail that is really
useful to some people.

abuse.net : Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same
message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not
otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising,
often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal
services. Spam costs the sender very little to send -- most of the
costs are paid for by the recipient or the carriers rather than by the
sender.

Emailalarms : The word "Spam" as applied to Email means Unsolicited
Bulk Email ("UBE").

Unsolicited means that the Recipient has not granted verifiable
permission for the message to be sent.
Bulk means that the message is sent as part of a larger collection of
messages, all having substantively identical content.

A message is Spam only if it is both Unsolicited and Bulk

FROM MY POINT OF VIEW, THE PERSON WHO RECEIVES AN EMAIL DECIDES WHATS
SPAM AND NOT SPAM FOR HIM. FOR EXAMPLE, THERE IS A MASS MAIL GENERATED
BY A DRUG COMAPNY PROMOTING THEIR DRUG FOR QUICK RECOVERY FROM
diabieties , if the person who is having diabieties may like to receive
even further offers from the drug company, but other person who is not
intereted to know about it may treat this email as SPAM. So when the
sender sends an email, he is trying to market his product / services
and not sending spam. Its the end user who treats the email as spam or
not spam and hence there is need to have a technology / solution which
can help the user to control the incoming traffic of emails or block
the unwanted emails. CERTAINLY, filtering is not the solution for it.

HG

Sep 4, 2006, 3:06:59 AM9/4/06
to Spam Free World by Data Infocom Limited - A mission
IMHO the sender's intention is most important that separates a spam
from a non-spam. Unsolicited and bulk mail, sent to an audience that
the sender has no reason to believe would have an interest in the
message, is what I call spam.

If somehow I have advance info that there's going to be an earthquake
in my town, it isn't a nuisance if I bang on every door to tell them
this - even if it in the end it turns out my info was incorrect. At
that time I believed my message to have some probability, and, I
expected it to be of interest to people who's privacy I intruded to
pass the message on to. So, it wasn't like spam.

But if I did banged on every door and tried to sell a hair-loss remedy
- that'd be different, that'd be more like spam. I was doing this
purely for my gain, and honestly speaking I'd have no reason to assume
that my message was of interest to others.

akd

Sep 4, 2006, 3:47:36 PM9/4/06
to Spam Free World by Data Infocom Limited - A mission
Spam continues to plague the Internet because a small number of large
Internet Service Providers sell service knowingly to professional
spammers for profit, or do nothing to prevent spammers operating from
their networks.

Although all networks claim to be anti-spam, some network executives
factor revenue made from hosting known spam gangs into corporate policy
decisions to continue to sell services to spam operations. Others
simply decide that closing the holes in their end-user broadband
systems that allow spammers access would be too costly to their bottom
lines.

The majority of the world's service providers succeed in keeping
spammers off their networks and work to maintain an anti-spam
reputation, but their work is undermined daily by the few networks who,
out of corporate greed or mismanagement, choose to be part of the
problem. In Data Infosys ISP network i have seen rr.com , comcast.net,
odn.ad.jp , hinet.net are the top spammers got blocked by our antispam
software (by spamjadoo.com) and they got identified as Directory
Hardvest Attackers too. Now we have written them emails to stop sending
emails to our network and if they dont do something for it,, it will be
our first step towards SPAM FREE WORLD to block these domains forever.