Deputies : Fanbridge misusing "isp resolved" status multiple times

Ismo Salonen

Jul 17, 2008, 2:31:49 AM7/17/08
I get at least once a week spam from them, when reporting it the status
is always "ISP has indicated spam will cease; ISP resolved this issue"

This clearly is not the situation. One time could be mistake, twice not
so likely, third time happened today. I consider this as misusing
the reporting system.

For last report look at :
http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2074481412z1b7ce01354b4ba2d795d36aa95549f01z

I've never subscribed their system and as EU citizen your can-spam laws
are irrelevant, here spamming is illegal without prior consent.

mail address is valid in case you need more info.

br
ismo

Mike Easter

Jul 17, 2008, 8:57:25 AM7/17/08

I'm not a deputy, but I interpret those words as meaning that the provider
has indicated to spamcop that they don't want any (more) report notifies
on the issue - for whatever reason, not necessarily that 'spam will
cease'.

In this case the issue is a spamsource. Reporter reports of spamsource,
whether they are notified to the source provider or not are still counted
toward the SCbl, which is what really matters. Regardless of whether the
provider hears about it or not, the spam 'report' is counted.

To me, the only notifies worth sending are the ones which the provider
wants. I don't believe in notifying providers who don't want a report and
SC's system doesn't believe in that either. SC permits any provider to
stop any or all notifies -- those about source, those about spamvertiser,
those about relays, or all reports.
http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/92.html Help for abuse-desks and
administrators : - SpamCop now features a way to refuse or accept each
type of report individually. - report selection preferences.

--
Mike Easter
kibitzer, not SC admin

Ismo Salonen

Jul 17, 2008, 10:53:53 AM7/17/08
Mike Easter wrote:
----quote start---

> To me, the only notifies worth sending are the ones which the provider

--- quote end ---

I use spamcop for filtering purposes and now this spam is not counted in
any way thus rendering the filter feature useless.

It is ok that a provider does not want the reports but still those
reports should be counted to the scbl. In this case those are not,
this is what I wanted to say, imho this is misusing the isp feature
to prevent counting to scbl.

br
ismo

Farelf

Jul 17, 2008, 11:12:32 AM7/17/08
Mike Easter wrote:
> Ismo Salonen wrote:
>
>>I get at least once a week spam from them, when reporting it the status
>>is always "ISP has indicated spam will cease; ISP resolved this issue"
>>
>>This clearly is not the situation. One time could be mistake, twice not
>>so likely, third time happened today. I consider this as misusing
>>the reporting system.
>>
>>For last report look at :
>>

> http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z2074481412z1b7ce01354b4ba2d795d36aa95549f01z
>
>>I've never subscribed their system and as EU citizen your can-spam laws
>>are irrelevant, here spamming is illegal without prior consent.
>

> I'm not a deputy, but I interpret those words as meaning that the provider
> has indicated to spamcop that they don't want any (more) report notifies
> on the issue - for whatever reason, not necessarily that 'spam will
> cease'.

<snip>

Well, no - isn't it the point that no reports/stats against the IP are
occuring (not just that no notifications are issuing)? In this case
there is no "send reports now" button, nothing is recorded. It is
supposed to be just for a 24 hour period but Fanbridge seems to be a
serial offender one way or another, 'gaming' the system over an extended
period.

Don's comments and actions on an earlier instance:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=3842&view=findpost&p=65557

Wazoo

Jul 17, 2008, 6:36:19 PM7/17/08
"Tim McGraw" <tmc...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> Farelf wrote:
>> Don's comments and actions on an earlier instance:
>>
>> http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=3842&view=findpost&p=65557
>
> Where on that page are Don's comments?
>
> F-U set.

Very confusing. Original post was cross-posted into spamcop.routing
and spamcop.help. Your setting follow-ups to the spamcop newsgroup
has now left Farelf's response looking much out of place as the
'only' post from this thread in the spamcop newsgroup. In my
opinion, this thread should have started and remained in the spamcop
newsgroup, as it is in no way a "routing" issue.

As farelf stated, the link provided takes IE6 and IE7 directly to
the post in questions. Pasted into the address bar in FF2 also
worked for me.

The default "standard" display would put Don's post at the top of
the eighth page of posts, Linear Post #141 in that Topic. Don posts
under the screen name of SpamCopAdmin. No idea how to get more
'specific' on the location.

Cross-posted this (with regrets) to both the original newsgroups and
the spamcop newsgroup (unfortunately)