Wanted: a bounce-back blacklist option - or blacklists by political party

jfaughnan

May 23, 2008, 10:21:56 AM5/23/08
I'm a paid-up many year spamcop email subscriber.

I get loads of spam from legitimate political groups with real email
addresses. Unsubscribe doesn't stop them. They are exempt from anti-
spam laws.

I can add them to the blacklist, but every year or so a new crop
emerges with a new domain (local politicians).

I'd like to have a blacklist bounce-back option. Then they'd get a
message saying my email is not valid.

Over time I think they'd forget about me.

Could that be added to spamcop? Obviously it should be an available
option ONLY for emails that pass various blacklists, so the bounces
would only be sent to likely legitimate addresses. (Obviously we don't
want to bounce back to regular spam, the bounces would go to the real
owners of the faked email addresses.)

Alternatively, I'd love to see blacklists organized by party. So,
Republican, Green, Democrat, Other. I could subscribe to all of them.

Thanks,
john

PS. My donations this year will use a disposable address.

tags: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, spam, filtering, political, non-profit,
organizational

Mike Easter

May 23, 2008, 3:06:50 PM5/23/08
Mike Easter wrote:
> jfaughnan wrote:

> I'm also surprised that you were able to post to GG and have it
> propagate into the spamcop newsserver. That channel was closed in the
> past, but apparently it has opened up.

Just as I suspected, my reply here did not propagate into GG.

In a thread last month, there was a lot of propagation into GG starting
with this message and including 5 messages of both Jazz Man's and mine:

<snip>
From: Jazz Man
Newsgroups: spamcop.help
Subject: SpamCop not automatically processing my spam reports
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 18:44:29 -0400
proxad.net! feeder1-1.proxad.net! club-internet.fr!
feedme-small.clubint.net! news.isoc.lu! news.spamcop.net! not-for-mail
</snip>

Strange.

--
Mike Easter
kibitzer, not SC admin

Mike Easter

May 23, 2008, 11:02:03 AM5/23/08
jfaughnan wrote:

> I'd like to have a blacklist bounce-back option. Then they'd get a
> message saying my email is not valid.

I doubt if SC's mail admin would (philosophically) support bogus
bouncing. It could very easily be misused to bounce to bogus From which
is abusive (and spamcop reportable).

Spamcop users, both short and longterm, have show great tendencies to
misuse features of the parsing and reporting system, so I don't see any
reason they wouldn't be presumed to misuse a feature which has
fraudulent misrepresentation of the headers (you forge the role accounts
of the spamcop postmaster/ maildaemon). Bogus bouncing is also
discernable by the knowledgeable header reader.

I'm also surprised that you were able to post to GG and have it
propagate into the spamcop newsserver. That channel was closed in the
past, but apparently it has opened up.

<bangs spaced>
postnews.google.com! 37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com! not-for-mail

Perhaps SC should abandon the support of the webtv set, since that tribe
must've dwindled to almost nothing by now.

Miss Betsy

May 24, 2008, 7:49:59 AM5/24/08
I'd suggest that you send an email to each offender:

"I will NOT vote for any candidate who doesn't understand about best
practices for email mailing lists. The Internet is part of our future and
those who are elected to office need to know how it works.

I gave $ last year to this person/party. Even though I have unsubscribed
from your list, I still am getting newsletters, not only from you, but from
other candidates in this party.

Please remove this email address from your list."

Or it might possibly be a better idea to send a snail mail letter, instead,
or in addition.

Miss Betsy

jfaughnan

May 24, 2008, 6:09:35 PM5/24/08
Ok, guess that won't work! Thanks for the clarification. I no longer
have a configured news reader, so this is being sent via Google
Groups. I hope it makes it!

I wonder if we could instead have conventional blacklists for
political parties and affiliates? They'd work well since all the mails
are valid. For example, block all dfl.org, etc. We could have one left
and one right blacklist, and we could manually chose whichever we'd
like.

I could provide a blacklist that would work for Minnesota left/
democratic spammers.

john

tags: jgfaughnan, jfaughnan, spam, politicians, political, blacklist,
block

On May 23, 10:02 am, "Mike Easter" <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote:

Mike Easter

May 24, 2008, 10:48:36 AM5/24/08
Miss Betsy wrote:
> I'd suggest that you send an email to each offender:

> Or it might possibly be a better idea to send a snail mail letter,
> instead, or in addition.

I suspect/ am sure/ that political marketing strategies are perpetrated
by professional marketing companies. That is, the candidate or rather
the candidate's 'handlers' hire out the marketing. The candidate and
the candidate's handlers don't know the first thing about mailing lists,
unsolicited bulk mail, or anything more than being aware of the fact
that during campaigns the people get tired of seeing political placards
on the streets and also get tired of receiving political snailmail
marketing in their mailboxes. The fact that people don't like the email
spam would be lost on the candidate, the candidate's handlers, and
certainly the marketing company.

Personally I think there should be a 'law' that the post office cannot
give bulk mail rates to any company or mailing which isn't made of
recycled paper. Not recyclable. Recycled. Bulk mail should require
that the bulk should be a very very high percentage recycled.

The post office is a pawn in the hands of marketers, and completely
depends upon the delivery of bulk mail to support its overall services.

Mike Easter

May 24, 2008, 6:59:43 PM5/24/08
jfaughnan wrote:

> Ok, guess that won't work!

Don't top post. That style leaves your attempt at creating a reply to
something I said not having any context and so 'that won't work' doesn't
make any sense up there. Even GG googlegroups help knows that you
shouldn't top post.

http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46543&topic=9253
or http://snipr.com/2agxs How can I automatically quote the previous
message when I post a reply? - You can place your comments between
lines of the quote or simply add your thoughts at the bottom.

Illustrations of attributing, trimming and contextualization reply
structure:

http://www.anta.net/misc/nnq/nquote.shtml Q1: What is "quoting" in
newsgroup postings? - Q2: How should I use the quoted text and arrange
it with my own text?

http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html How do I quote
correctly in Usenet? -- 2.1 How much should I quote? - 2.2 What should
not be quoted? - 2.3 Why should I place my response below the quoted
text?

> I no longer
> have a configured news reader, so this is being sent via Google
> Groups.

Your OS is Mac 10.4. There are plenty of free newsagents for the Mac.
If you like Moz for your browser, then use a Moz mail/news agent, Tbird.
Go here to download it:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/all.html Mac OS X - English
(US) English (US)- Thunderbird 2.0.0.14.dmg

Configure it for spamcop's newsserver: http://snipr.com/2agx1 Mozilla
Thunderbird news reader configuration - <where the screenshots say
'news.uc.uiuc.news' - you put 'news.spamcop.net' without the quotes>

There are other Mac newsreaders listed here:
http://www.newsreaders.com/mac/clients.html Mac OS X newsreaders:

There are many newsgroups where GGers are filtered out by the other
readers -- and there are numerous other disadvantages to using GG to
correspond to nntp newsgroups.

Miss Betsy

May 25, 2008, 6:49:58 PM5/25/08

"Mike Easter" <Mi...@ster.invalid> wrote in message

> Miss Betsy wrote:
>> I'd suggest that you send an email to each offender:
>
>> Or it might possibly be a better idea to send a snail mail letter,
>> instead, or in addition.
>
> I suspect/ am sure/ that political marketing strategies are perpetrated
> by professional marketing companies. That is, the candidate or rather
> the candidate's 'handlers' hire out the marketing. The candidate and
> the candidate's handlers don't know the first thing about mailing lists,
> unsolicited bulk mail, or anything more than being aware of the fact
> that during campaigns the people get tired of seeing political placards
> on the streets and also get tired of receiving political snailmail
> marketing in their mailboxes.

All the more reason the political staff should know about email marketing!!

I once made an effort to get off charitable mailing lists by writing and
returning
either a donation or a note. I included a note asking to be taken off their
mailing
list, in order to save them money (or reach another person) and to take
pressure
off our landfills. I said the same thing to those I donated to except that I
said that
I would donate to them annually. (BTW, it worked for most)

I got an interesting reply from one who said that they had discovered that
the
return was greater when they sent several solicitations in a row. My theory
is that people who didn't answer the first one because they were busy, did
on
the second or third. So I don't think there is any way to get out of a
deluge.

Miss Betsy

Richard Torrens (News)

Mar 3, 2009, 4:56:08 AM3/3/09
In article
<fef24d06-6b06-4910...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

jfaughnan <jfau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get loads of spam from legitimate political groups with real email
> addresses. Unsubscribe doesn't stop them. They are exempt from anti-
> spam laws.

> I can add them to the blacklist, but every year or so a new crop
> emerges with a new domain (local politicians).

> I'd like to have a blacklist bounce-back option. Then they'd get a
> message saying my email is not valid.

I have a script on our server which bounces back emails from any sender on
the internal blacklist.

It only works sometimes. Many companies do not take any notice of returned
emails. Some do.

I suspect your senders are similar. Bounces simply get binned.

The only way I see around this is a change in international law, so that
it's illegal to use a black hole as a bounce return address. And it is
illegal to fake an identity.

But it ain't gonna happen.

Richard Torrens. News email address is valid - for a limited time only.
http://www.Torrens.org.uk for genealogy, natural history, wild food, walks, cats
and more!

D. Stussy

Oct 22, 2010, 6:14:15 PM10/22/10
"Richard Torrens (News)" <News+...@Torrens.org.uk> wrote in message

> In article
> <fef24d06-6b06-4910...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> jfaughnan <jfau...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I get loads of spam from legitimate political groups with real email
> > addresses. Unsubscribe doesn't stop them. They are exempt from anti-
> > spam laws.
>
> > I can add them to the blacklist, but every year or so a new crop
> > emerges with a new domain (local politicians).
>
> > I'd like to have a blacklist bounce-back option. Then they'd get a
> > message saying my email is not valid.
>
> I have a script on our server which bounces back emails from any sender
on
> the internal blacklist.
>
> It only works sometimes. Many companies do not take any notice of
returned
> emails. Some do.
>
> I suspect your senders are similar. Bounces simply get binned.
>
> The only way I see around this is a change in international law, so that
> it's illegal to use a black hole as a bounce return address. And it is
> illegal to fake an identity.
>
> But it ain't gonna happen.

The DNSBL you want to get them listed on is described at
http://www.lashback.com/support/UnsubscribeBlacklistSupport.aspx

It is for servers that run lists that don't honor the unsubscribe feature.
Unfortunately, I don't see any way to make a suggestion about including a
site they don't list.

D. Stussy

Oct 22, 2010, 6:14:15 PM10/22/10