default debug behaviour when calling spades( )?

Eliot McIntire

Nov 2, 2016, 12:52:45 AM11/2/16
to SpaDES Users
With recent updates to the SpaDES package, the behaviour when using debug = xxxx has changed. Now, if debug = TRUE, one sees, in the console, the stream of the current time, module and event as it is occurring. I believe this is VERY useful, and essentially almost always desired.

I am considering changing the default value of the argument to debug = TRUE instead of the current debug = FALSE (where you would have seen nothing in the console).

Thoughts?

Alex Chubaty

Nov 2, 2016, 4:51:52 PM11/2/16
to SpaDES Users
I think we should keep the default debug=FALSE because although debugging is useful during *development*, it is not desirable for production runs and general use by end users.

Although many 'SpaDES' users right now are likely developing modules of their own, this will likely change in the future. We need to keep things as simple as possible for users. Developers are better equipped to add an option like debug=TRUE when working on their own code, but I don't think we should expects users to have to specify debug=FALSE everytime they run something in SpaDES.

In addition, printing output to the console does slow down code execution. Why impose an execution penalty automatically?

Alex