Some odd package version selections with the clingo concretizer

mart...@gmail.com

Nov 29, 2021, 6:11:35 PM11/29/21
to Spack
I have installed Spack 0.17.0, and I am seeing some strange version picks for some packages.

For example, running "spack spec gromacs", with the original concretizer, I get the latest intel-mkl, ^inte...@2020.4.304, which is the preferred one, but with the clingo, it's picking a very old ^inte...@11.3.3.210.

With the gromacs spec, I am seeing the same thing (older than preferred version being selected) also with openssl, nucrses and a few other packages.

Anyone has any thoughts about this and what can I do to analyze the source of this?

Thanks,
Martin

Massimiliano Culpo

Nov 30, 2021, 3:00:49 AM11/30/21
to Spack
Hi Martin,

One thing you can do to try analyze this behavior is to run "spack solve <spec>", which is essentially "spack spec <spec>" + the multi-objective optimization weights computed by clingo.

If you have reproducers you can also open an issue on Spack's Github and ping me (alalazo).

Cheers,
Massimiliano