Amber and targeted architecture

Rob Groner

Jun 17, 2021, 12:45:16 PM6/17/21
to Spack
For our spack env, I've set the default architecture to ivybridge.  Note that the actual host I'm building with isn't ivybridge.

I'm now trying to build amber 18 with the intel compiler.  Once it was done and I did some smoke testing, it threw illegal instruction errors, so clearly it had not compiled for the ivybridge but something else (most likely the build host).

Rebuilding amber again with full verbose, I found these warnings all throughout:

icc: command line warning #10121: overriding '-march=ivybridge' with '-xHost'"

So the -xHost compiler flag is getting set, and it's overriding the arch flag.  At this time, I can't see a solution to this without modifying the configuration files prior to building to remove -xHost.

Paul Adamson

Jul 28, 2021, 12:04:58 PM7/28/21
to Spack
I have the same behaviour when building SuiteSparse. Did you get any resolution on this?

Groner, Rob

Aug 2, 2021, 8:30:13 AM8/2/21
to Paul Adamson, Spack
No.  We're living with it at the moment, other things took priority.

Rob