Efficient rebuild a spec with a new compiler

Itaru Kitayama

Feb 12, 2021, 6:52:14 PM2/12/21
to Spack
Hi,
I often receive compiler updates and wonder if Spack is going to rebuild
everything from scratch whenever user switched to a new compiler.

Pariksheet Nanda

Feb 15, 2021, 12:17:38 PM2/15/21
to sp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Itaru-san,

On 2/12/21 6:52 PM, Itaru Kitayama wrote:

> I often receive compiler updates and wonder if Spack is going to rebuild
> everything from scratch whenever user switched to a new compiler.

Correct, my understanding is spack will pickup the most recent compiler
if you don't specify the compiler in your spec or environment, etc.

This is why even though we install new compiler versions about once a
year, we don't using the newer versions is there is a long dependency
chain unless there is a compelling reason due to code being written to
newer compiler standards. A lot of software on our cluster is compiled
against Intel's 2013 compiler which had C++11!

Pariksheet