Variants for ParaView and Visit

Jeff Becker

Mar 9, 2021, 6:25:48 PM3/9/21
to sp...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I’ve been able to build both of these packages successfully with Spack. However, the group that requested these noted that

  • ParaView is missing a file reader for Chombo format
  • Visit is missing a file reader for CGNS format

I was unable to find a build variant that provided these missing readers. Will that be available in a future Spack release?

Thanks.

Jeff Becker

NASA Advanced Supercomputing Facility

Olivier Cessenat

Mar 26, 2021, 11:29:11 AM3/26/21
to Spack
Hello Jeff,

I tried to add a "visit-cgns/package.py"file (attached) ; the trick is to have CGNS compiled conformly to the plugin.
When I use the CGNS headers from a previous install of VisIt done with build_visit, i.e. when I declare cgns as an external in  ~/.spack/packages.yaml,
it works. But when I attempt to build CGNS myself, using the "cgns/package.py", I fail with message:
<<
[ 85%] Built target ICGNSDatabase
In file included from /tmp/cessenat/spack-stage/spack-stage-visit-cgns-3.1.4-htcbtb7kpukrwycpx5ficze3lvqoga5t/spack-src/src/databases/CGNS/avtCGNSFileReader.C:38:0:
/tmp/cessenat/spack-stage/spack-stage-visit-cgns-3.1.4-htcbtb7kpukrwycpx5ficze3lvqoga5t/spack-src/src/databases/CGNS/CGNSHelpers.C:22:15: error: variable or field 'PrintDataType' declared void
 PrintDataType(DataType_t dt)
               ^~~~~~~~~~

Probably the VisIt CGNS plugin developper should know how to alter "cgns/package.py" to become compatible.

Surprinsigly, on Ubuntu18.04, installing apt install libcgns-dev and using it as the external lib, it also compiled.

Olivier Cessenat
package.py

Olivier Cessenat

Mar 27, 2021, 2:29:30 PM3/27/21
to Spack
Can you try (here I assume you do not have an MPI VisIt):
spack install visit...@3.1.4 ^cg...@3.3.1+int64+hdf5~mpi~scoping~legacy ^vi...@3.1.4+gui~mpi ^hdf5~mpi  ^all_the_stuffs_you_did_to_compile_VisIt
Can you tell me if you can read the mesh of "5blocks.cgns" from http://cgns.sourceforge.net/CGNSFiles/5blocks/5blocks.cgns.gz
This worked for me with an external VisIt - I failed to make VisIt basics work through spack.
Olivier Cessenat

Olivier Cessenat

Mar 27, 2021, 2:32:52 PM3/27/21
to Spack
spack install visit-cgnsAT3.1.4 ^cgnsAT3.3.1+int64+hdf5~mpi~scoping~legacy ^visitAT3.1.4+gui~mpi ^hdf5~mpi  ^all_the_stuffs_you_did_to_compile_VisIt