Interesting SE thread on Physics Forums

NetScr1be

Nov 3, 2010, 3:11:34 PM11/3/10
to Space Elevator Group

Spancho asked: Suppose the classic elevator is created, affixed to the
Earth somewhere on the equator. The elevator would be perfectly
balanced so that there would be no net force i.e. the centrifugal
force of the string and end station would equal the force of gravity.
What would happen if the cord was severed at the base? It wouldn't be
pulled down, cus its spinning fast enough, and it would fly off
because it weighs to much. Thoughts?

I read through the other replies (http://www.physicsforums.com/
showthread.php?p=2967128#post2967128) then posted the following;

I'm wondering about two other factors.

Isn't the load on the ribbon is going to vary depending on whether the
climber(s) are loaded, how heavy that load is, where it is on the
tether, and, the direction in which it is moving.

I realize the climber load is probably small compared to the overall
mass of the tether but it seems to me that the climber has the
potential to vary the relative masses of the other components possibly
into/through critical phases (??).

In the case of a break inside Earth's atmosphere. I'm thinking the
weather represents a potentially critical external force. Imagine the
tether breaking and having a significant external force (typhoon)
blowing the lower part apart. Also, attach enough raindrops and/or ice
to the tether and there is yet another variable mass.

Adding to the quandary is another major effect of a break - changing
the electrical properties of the tether. There are multiple electrical
sources operating on the tether like the ionosphere, Van Allen belt
energy, static from the climbers and the occasional lightning strike.
Doesn't taking the tether out of direct electrical contact with the
Earth have to have an effect?

--PB--

Space Elevator Journal http://spacelf8r.blogspot.com/
Space Elevator Discussion Group http://groups.google.com/group/spacelf8r?hl=en