soil humidity to several m, met data, Mediterranean plant ecosystem

broozm

Jun 25, 2006, 6:53:31 PM6/25/06
to sowacs: soil water moisture content measurement systems and sensors
Bruce Comments = I am posting this on behalf as it was received some
month's ago but seems not to have been distributed.
===========================

Dear All,

I'm new both to this list and to soil humidity measurements.

Our future research project requires continuous soil humidity
monitoring down to several meters in depth, accompanied
by logging of local meteorological data, including wind speed,
temperature, air humidity and light intensity, to study Mediterranean
plant ecosystems.

I would very much appreciate some advice regarding the
most efficient solution that could satisfy our needs.

Best regards,
Igor Khmelinskii

Universidade do Algarve
Faro, Portugal
Photoblog: http://igorkhmelinskii.blogspot.com/

l...@cpaa.embrapa.br

Jun 26, 2006, 9:51:30 AM6/26/06
to sow...@googlegroups.com
Dear Igo,

To help you in a better way. You should give us more details about for
what purpose you need soil water measurements.
We do have equipments that have relatively good precision ... but not good
acuracy ... as FDR and similar equipments. But if you need high precision
and acuracy the "real TDR" is probably the better solution for continuous
measurement.

Kind regards from the Amazon
Saudações

Wenceslau Teixeira
Embrapa Amazônia Ocidental

James

Jun 26, 2006, 12:24:48 PM6/26/06
to sow...@googlegroups.com
Dear Igo,

As far as I know the soil mositure is 100% at all depths, You are probably want to
measure soil moisture.

If had to put a system together I would use the following :

1. Cr1000 datalogger from Campbell Scientific
2. Soil moisture sensors from Decagon - 20 cm Echo Probes
3. Windspeed and Direction sensors from RM Young
3. Temperature and humidity from Ysala
4. Cellmodem from Wavecom - if there is cellpfone coverage
5. Pyranometer from Li-cor

Sincerely
James Kennedy