moisture measurement in grain

sensortagsolutions

Apr 23, 2012, 7:22:21 AM4/23/12
to sow...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are looking for a solution to measure the moisture content of grain that is blown through a pipe (from a truck to a bin).
Suggestions welcome.

Wim Stenfert Kroese

TomRinAZ-USA

Apr 28, 2012, 5:44:12 PM4/28/12
to sowacs: soil water moisture content measurement systems and sensors
Hi,

Interesting question Wim Stenfert Kroese.

I immediately thought of a sensor restrained within butterfly valve-
separated tubular chambers, and a coffee grinder assembly. Grain
enter a fore-chamber, is ground to the proper textture, sampled, then
exhausted. Of course, there would be considerable calibration
required, but I believe suitably-ground grain kernels, with good
chamber density management, would create sufficient contact with a
good, absolute soil moisture sensor to get the job done.

I have a rough schematic, for your consideration. Not shown are the
requisite dislodging/backflow mechanisms.

Tom Reynolds, CID, NRCS-TSP
Water Balance, LLC
Tempe, AZ 602-463-5072

Tom Thomson

Apr 29, 2012, 2:07:59 PM4/29/12
to sow...@googlegroups.com
How about using a moisture sensor from a combine yield monitor? They
are already designed to work in tubes on a flow thru basis. They are
not the standard of accuracy but they work quite well. Check out
AgLeader or any of the major implement dealers.

tom

Tom Thomson Northwest Agricultural Consulting
1275 Oak Villa Road to...@onlinenw.com
Dallas, Oregon 97338 Phone 503-510-3883

"The only difference between a problem and a solution is that
everyone understands the solution." Charles Kettering

Ben

Apr 30, 2012, 7:23:29 AM4/30/12
to sowacs: soil water moisture content measurement systems and sensors
Hi,
I do not have any experience about soil moisture measuremets of grain.
But I know that IMKO produces some nice sensors. I think this one is
especially designed for your use:
http://www.imko.de/en/products/industrial-moisture/trimegw
Regards
Benjamin