Call for actions against Chevron in solidarity with Unist'ot'en clan

dirty...@riseup.net

Mar 8, 2013, 5:03:17 PM3/8/13
From our allies at Rising Tide:

Hey folks,

RT-Vancouver, Coast Salish Territories has put out this call to action for
March 30th. if folks' locals are able to endorse or planning something,
please be in touch. also, if yall know of other folks who have done
anti-Chevron work and who may not be on this list, please feel free to pass
on my contact

Best, -m

*-please forward widely-*

Solidarity with the Unist’ot’en. Call for actions on Saturday March 30th
2013

No consent? No fracking pipelines, no climate crimes!
---------------------------------------
We encourage autonomous creative direct action against Chevron and any
others involved in the development and financing of Pacific Trail Pipeline.
Occupy offices, drop banners, demonstrate in city centres, lock-on at the
pumps, subvert the Chevron brand, hand out leaflets… the choice is yours!
---------------------------------------

American oil giant Chevron wants to build a destructive pipeline across
unceded indigenous territory to carry fracked gas to the coast, and export
climate change to the world. We say NO. We do not need fracked gas, we do
not want another pipeline and we will not stand by as colonial governments
and greedy corporations push us over the climate catastrophe cliff edge.

Chevron is the new corporate face of the Pacific Trail Pipeline project,
having recently become 50/50 partners with Apache to build a fracking gas
pipeline across 500 kilometres of largely unceded land, from Summit Lake to
LNG plants planned for Kitimat. On March 30th we will greet them with
resistance across BC and around the world. As politicians put economic
growth and industry interests ahead of carbon common sense and indigenous
rights, it is up to us to take direct action to raise the cost of pushing
ahead with the project, and raise the stakes in the PR battle.

Everywhere they operate, Chevron exploits land and people for money, often
through the use of force, and without taking responsibility for the
consequences. Battles against environmental racism and illegal oil wars,
movements for indigenous sovereignty and migrant justice – we amplify our
resistance by uniting our struggles, so we are calling for solidarity
actions and events against Chevron across Canada and around the world.

The Pacific Trail pipeline can still be stopped. There is a huge
groundswell of public opinion against BC’s carbon corridor, the Unis’tot’en
are mounting a determined resistance against incursions onto their
territory, and a space is being carved out where we can change the course
of BC’s energy future. We know that dismantling the fossil fuel empire is a
colossal task, but every action we take takes its toll. Chevron, this is
just the start… your time has come, your days are numbered!

See you in the streets!

---------------------------------------

Find more information and resources, spread the word, share action pics and
reports and find out what others are planning online at:
www.risingtide604.ca<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.risingtide604.ca&h=AAQGuUHaJ&s=1>
Twitter: @risingtide604 / #nopipelines
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RisingTide604
To endorse this call-out, or to let us know about an action you organize,
email us at rising...@riseup.net

---------------------------------------
We resist because…

We stand with frontline communities.
Frontline indigenous communities have already said a loud and clear NO to
the Pacific Trail Pipeline and have repeatedly affirmed that free, prior,
and informed consent must be respected by both colonial governments and
corporations. No consent has been given. Far from it – industry surveyors
have been evicted by the Unis’tot’en and other clans of the Wet’suwet’en
Nation, equipment seized and roadblocks set up against all further pipeline
activity. On March 30th, let us help amplify their voices and help return
decision making power to the people whose lives will be most affected by
the pipeline project.

For more on the Unist’ot’en camp, including news releases and videos from
latest events, visit
http://unistotencamp.wordpress.com/<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Funistotencamp.wordpress.com%2F&h=eAQFbNmmS&s=1>and
to watch a short video explaining the community’s struggle, check out
Stop the Flow -
http://stoptheflows.tumblr.com/<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fstoptheflows.tumblr.com%2F&h=bAQFnvjok&s=1>

Chevron has it coming
Chevron has an atrocious history of oil spills, gas explosions, toxic
dumping, deforestation, water pollution, activist shootings, tax evasion
and climate change denial. From the US to Nigeria, Australia to Angola,
Brazil to Bangladesh, Chevron brings death and destruction. In Ecuador,
after 8 years in court, Chevron was ordered to pay $8.6 billion in damages
for 20 year of toxic dumping – but three years later, Chevron still refuses
to pay. In Richmond, California, Chevron’s pollution is causing cancer and
respiratory illnesses. In the Niger Delta, activists resisting Chevron’s
unjust and unsafe production methods have been shot dead by local
authorities (using Chevron helicopters). And the National Petroleum Agency
of Brazil has actually banned Chevron from the country for its failure to
take responsibility for the Rio De Janeiro oil spill. We are joining the
global fight to put a stop to Chevron’s environmental and social crimes.

Frack off!
Northwest BC’s shale gas fields are shaping up to be a major front line in
the global battle against unconventional energy via the carbon intense
environmental nightmare that is fracked gas. Fracking causes methane leaks,
ground water contamination, hydrogen sulphide leakage, earthquake risks,
not to mention the CO2 release when the gas is finally burnt. This
exploitation of ever more difficult, expensive and harmful fossil fuel
sources demonstrates the true greed, and insanity, of the present global
economic system. We have a really simple message – we need to keep fossil
fuels in the ground.
Fracking backgrounder:
http://calamites.resist.ca/?p=329<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fcalamites.resist.ca%2F%3Fp%3D329&h=iAQFl0w0M&s=1>

---------------------------------------

Endorsed By:
Lhe Lin Liyin (Wet'suwet'en Guardian Society)
Likhts'amisyu (Fireweed Clan)
Rising Tide Vancouver Coast Salish Territories
Unist'ot'en (People of the Headwaters)
=== RT LOCAL CONTACTS LIST - rt-l...@lists.riseup.net ===================
Please respect email overload and only post major announcements (actions,
events, resources we can share)! This *isn't* a discussion list or a
place to repost news articles...

need help? tech support [ da...@risingtidenorthamerica.org ]
want off this list? send a blank email to
rt-local-u...@lists.riseup.net

untitled-[1.2]