One Garden Event Tomorrow! / Organic Initiative and Seasonal High Tunnel Initiative as well as other NRCS programs

jerry diamond

Nov 7, 2014, 10:35:53 PM11/7/14
to sustainable CEDAR, sw mocr, htgb, midwest-...@yahoogroups.com, YLDS, YPNA, PBNA PBNA, YPCU, hc, Discover Well Fed Neighbor, preparedsurvi...@yahoogroups.com, sherry shriner, hcp, City-of-Refu...@yahoogroups.com, FoodWate...@yahoogroups.com

Yes, this is a Fed program, but it only commits you to growing plants in the ground (seasonal) for three years.
After that, and in the off season, what you do with the extra covered space on your land is up to you -use it for a storage area, a Tabernacles meeting, visitors / family camping out, etc. I personally know three families at least, who now have a permanent large year round "building" on their land, for very cheap -one was totally free!!! (qualified while in Arkansas; my family helped two of them set them up. One has it bc of something like this that I sent out about three years ago -which I did not even remember.) The program pays for 2100 sf (30 by 70) of greenhouse. Many people pay for another 30 feet to make it 30 by 100 -3000 sf!!!

Yes, short notice!!! I just got this, sorry. I am taking my grandson to a Ham Radio Fest in Nixa or I would go just to meet a lot of good folk.
The one garden group is some of the people who built stoves with me at woodpecker Farm near Thornfield / Theodosia.
Awesomely organized people.
Take advantage of this if there is any possibility at all. Make the effort. Get a greenhouse if you can. After the three years, it can be an Aquaponics Operation, etc.

jerry

Good morning everyone,

This is a reminder that we are having an event at One Garden tomorrow, Saturday, November 8th at 2:00pm. I hope to see you there!

OPPORTUNITIES FOR LOCAL FARMERS PRESENTATION
Saturday, November 8th

BRIXEY, MO Saturday, November 8, 2014 at 2:00pm a presentation on resources supporting sustainable farming practices and local food production will be given at the One Garden Library next to the old Brixey post office on Highway N. This event is free and open to the public.

April Wilson, District Conservationist with the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), will present on financial and technical assistance available to help farmers, ranchers, and forest landowners make improvements to their land. April will explain the Organic Initiative and Seasonal High Tunnel Initiative as well as other NRCS programs that help producers conserve energy; improve soil, water, and air quality; and preserve wildlife habitat.

Representatives from the South Central Missouri Food Hub Study will present on their project and gather input from participants. The study, conducted by Missouri State University, will assess the capacity of nine counties (Wright, Texas, Webster, Douglas, Ozark, Howell, Oregon, Ripley and Shannon) to support a local food hub. A food hub is a centrally located facility that has a management structure to facilitate the aggregation, storage, processing and distribution of locally produced food products.

A tour of a nearby high tunnel built with assistance from the NRCS will follow the presentations.

Please contact me (Amelia) with any questions, and feel free to send me suggestions for future speakers or topics!

Take care,

Amelia LaMair
Americorps VISTA member
One Garden
ame...@onegarden.org
(417)261-1104

--
The following information is a reminder of your current mailing

You are subscribed to the following list:
    One Garden Events

using the following email:
    dmnd...@yahoo.com

You may automatically unsubscribe from this list at any time by
visiting the following URL:

<http://www.one-garden.org/cgi-bin/mail.cgi/u/onegardenevents/>

If the above URL is inoperable, make sure that you have copied the
entire address. Some mail readers will wrap a long URL and thus break
this automatic unsubscribe mechanism.

You may also change your subscription by visiting this list's main screen:

<http://www.one-garden.org/cgi-bin/mail.cgi/list/onegardenevents>

If you're still having trouble, please contact the list owner at:

    <mailto:dan...@one-garden.org>

The following physical address is associated with this mailing list:

One Garden / Ozark Seed Bank
HC1 Box 1A
Brixey, MO
65618