Re: [rocketmass] Rocket Mass Greenhouse?

jerry diamond

Nov 15, 2014, 2:54:51 AM11/15/14
to rocke...@yahoogroups.com, sustainable CEDAR, sw mocr, htgb, midwest-...@yahoogroups.com, YLDS, YPNA, PBNA PBNA, YPCU, hc, Discover Well Fed Neighbor, preparedsurvi...@yahoogroups.com, sherry shriner, hcp, City-of-Refu...@yahoogroups.com, FoodWate...@yahoogroups.com, dmnd...@yahoo.com

Re: [rocketmass] Rocket Mass Greenhouse?

Water is five times better than anything else at storing and releasing heat. 55 gallon drums, or horse tank, etc would work.
If you use a steel tank, just encase the exhaust pipe in cob, etc, to prevent dielectric corrosion of the metals, plus to reduce the heat a bit.
You can get 100 and 170 gallon tanks. $150 for a 170 gal, and $65.00 for a 100 gallon.
They would also be a good size for a Hot Tub:o) I would question using the black poly,
but with three or so inches of cob between, they should work.
BTW, you can also have the pipe in the ground with water barrels over it -a Trench Rocket Stove. That will save working space in the greenhouse.

As  to coiling pipe around the heater core -not a good idea. Not directly touching, at least.
Two reasons; One, Dielectric corrosion -that is how batteries work; the further at either end of the Galvanic Scale, the more electricity produced -the more rust, ie corrosion -of copper, steel, or SS even.
SS will corrode slower, but the first thing in knives, etc they tell you is: "Stainless Ain't!" Given electrical "agitation" it will leak.

The other thing is that it is massive heat overkill (No Pun In ten did)
-"The rocket stove’s internal temperatures can get in excess of 2000 degrees (in a well insulated combustion chamber) and it’s exhaust, which runs through a mass (cob, rocks, etc.) that is absorbing and slowly releasing the heat, is well under 200 degrees!
That’s an insane amount of energy energy being stored in the mass and radiated out of the bell housing." -Link below.

That is also an INSANE amount of energy energy to heat water with. Water boils at 212 F, so above that, you are creating steam.
A steam engine blew in Ohio at a horse power days and killed 11 people. Like Washington said of fire & government;
They are -"Good servants, but terrible masters."
Also...Keep The Number One Rule of Engineering in mind when venturing into inventive and construction oriented frontiers:
"Overstressed structures have a way of relieving themselves...
But wouldn't you really rather do it yourself?"

You would reach explosive temps at worst, possibly very rapidly, depending on how the system is built,
and at worst make enough steam to run a turbine. Neither are your goals.
I think someone built one, made lots of steam, but then had to chip all the cob away and start over.
I think they used about 3 or 4 inches was what I remember, but you might look for that example. If I can find it, I will link it.

I read an example of even Solar heat almost causing catastrophic failure in a system;
just black pipe in the top of a solarium when turned on, made the temp gauge rise so fast
they barely had time to run down to the first floor to shut it off and drain the pipes, before they had a massive meltdown.

You want hot water, I dunno, not hot enough to melt your barrels, but below 200 for sure.
Pressure relief valves from old water heaters, circulating pump like Mike said, etc.

Vertical feed tubes can take long pieces of wood -2 by 4, saplings, etc and burn about a foot per hour +/-.
Another option, I ran across in studying kilns -they use one design called a Bourry Box -basically giant rocket stoves!!! They are, I think, BLDD They feed hoppers with

image

Rocket Stove Mass Heater
Do you currently have a wood-burning stove? How would you like to use 1/8th the wood to heat your home? Do you currently heat with gas or electric and drop a cou...

Preview by Yahoo

image

Rocket Stoves - In Search of Higher Temperatures
ROCKET STOVES - IN SEARCH OF HIGHER TEMPERATURES (Variations in the size and location of air openings in a modified “rocket stove” and their effect on e...
Preview by Yahoo