Communications, Wars and Rumors of Wars, Search & Rescue Teams and Outposts...

jerry diamond

Jan 25, 2015, 11:28:11 AM1/25/15
to sustainable CEDAR, sw mocr, htgb, midwest-...@yahoogroups.com, YLDS, YPNA, PBNA PBNA, YPCU, hc, Discover Well Fed Neighbor, preparedsurvi...@yahoogroups.com, sherry shriner, hcp, City-of-Refu...@yahoogroups.com, FoodWate...@yahoogroups.com

This started as a short forward about this antenna...you know me...
With a Baofeng ($40), a TDX ($60)or Wouxun ($130) handheld -or base -with this antenna below, you can have an awesome set up...
Get your ham license. Learn radio -and Morse Code.
We will need these skills for the future Morse Code may well be life critical
-visible line of sight usage for OPs, S&R Teams, etc,
to bring in hungry, wounded, and weary Wayfaring Strangers...
I envision a thousand Outposts around the region.
They could be named after the man this movie below is about -Ephraim's Rescuers...
which leads me to say a few words dear people...
I wrote these following words fifteen years ago.
The whole book is still -day by day -week by week
-month by month -year by year -coming true.
The times I foresaw will come also.
Every single one of you reading this will be affected.
You will be a part of my book -for good or ill.
You will be in one of two situations:
You will be a part of the solution -healing, feeding, helping...
-or you will be a part of the problem -wounded, starving, traumatized.
This movie I found and which I give links to below, I feel is absolutely prophetic.
Please watch it.
I talked about this saga back in 2000 in my book:
    I want to take the time to send this out to our friends, family and those who will become friends in the days ahead.  Many of you have become a very big part of our lives and of the ideas and the dream, which is laid out in this document.  Please feel free, if you get through it, to use anything you can, forward it far and wide, give me any feedback you may have, and certainly any new ideas.  It may be that if you pray about it, you may be led to take a specific part in the program laid out therein.  Most all of you are already, in one way or another.
I have already been severely castigated by a self-righteous “Christian” for being a cultist because of my quotation of Joseph Smith.  I adamantly refuse to take out any references to Mormon history and prophecies just to, perhaps, make this message more “palatable” to milk drinking babes. “Some love to eat the meat; some love to pick the bone”-John Bunyan REFUSING TO CONSIDER IDEAS AND PRACTICES JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE THOUGHT OF, OR USED BY A PEOPLE YOU DISAGREE WITH, IS FOOLISH AND ARROGANT.  That would be like refusing to live in a YURT, or a TIPI because they were used by Mongolians, or Indians.
This is a plan and plea for a structured, replicating, systematic, and inter-communal effort to provide shelter and food for those relatives, friends, as well as “strangers in Israel” that foresee to be cast upon us in the near future.
People are being led to gather OUT of the CITIES.  Some are becoming committed enough.  A community near us has one young family with three small children who live in an un-insulated school bus, vans and tents, with a single layer “greenhouse” for a kitchen, and shower.  In their determination to try to live a debt-free life, apart from the physical and spiritual deadliness of the city, this is their “winter quarters,” as it were.  They hope to build a more livable home in the spring.
We moved from Denver to Topeka on $800.00, with no job lined up.  I empathize with them, totally.  A friend moved to Missouri from NJ in a subcompact, with no job, no housing and a pregnant wife.  It is happening.  “Wheresoever eagles gather, there the body is.”  Listen to the Father as to where you are to be.

Later in the book, I say this:

    MORMON TREK ON FOOT

A friend of ours, one of my wife’s friends in Colorado is a Mormon and she told me one time how she went to a reenactment of the trek west and she said that some of the poorer Mormons used carts; they didn’t use wagons, so they didn’t have so much money tied up in moving.  They walked.  They had handcarts that they pushed or pulled I’m not sure which, but they put their belongings on the cart and they walked.  A collection would be taken up, a family would be supplied with utensil tools,
 money, etc and they would go out to Utah and when they would get established and
when they were making money they would send money back to bring another
family out so it was a continuous immigration.  That is an interesting concept.
It is a workable concept.  It is kind of part of this idea that you have
continuous exodus, immigration into Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Idaho,
Michigan or wherever but, it’s a continuous exodus out of the cities over the

image

Preview by Yahoo

and listen to this song...
This little known part of Pioneer history is prophetic of what will happen dozens of times over in the days ahead. Be Prepared for them!!!
Come now and prepare to help instead of showing up later no better off than some of the people who survived the conditions depicted in this movie.

On Communications:
Here is the link for that antenna I mentioned, along with chatter about it from a forum.
It covers GMRS and what else, you can figure out.
Very high gain -legit 3db as stated below.
It would pick up Rick Colliers repeater system which they just boosted with a much better antenna, channel 17 I believe.

Also, on ebay you can get parts -or ideas to make them at the shop, for a tripod and guy plates to use military poles for antenna masts:

image

TRIPOD FOR USE WITH MILITARY FIBERGLASS AL...
US $40.00 New other (see details) in Consumer Electronics, Radio Communication, Antennas
Preview by Yahoo

This is the set-up poles:

image

New Military Camouflage Net Support System 12 Alum Po...
US $95.00 New in Consumer Electronics, Radio Communication, Antennas
Preview by Yahoo

This link has a pic of a full set up. You can use the tripod to have a 4 foot base using three 4 foot poles, or an eight foot base using three pairs of 4 foot poles per leg.

image

ANTENNA TRIPOD 29FT ALUMINUM PORTABLE T...
US $168.99 New in Consumer Electronics, Radio Communication, Antennas
Preview by Yahoo

I need to have  a guy plate with a center hole to fit between two army poles, and 12 guy holes for a 12 web / strapping system to replace the lodge-pole pine.
With that set-up -poles, tripod, etc, I can have a very portable radio shack tipi -which can set up in about one hour, using the pole / mast as center support for a 14 ft tipi as I describe in this letter below. With one of my in ground insulated parabolic trench rocket stoves, with no smoke inside or out, even winter radio operations would be comfy:
"I have two tipis and poles are a logistic hassle -nightmare, really.
With a military camo pole set up like some ham radio guys carry -tripod, guy plates, guy-lines, etc, I figure to set up a 14 foot tipi using the guy system, one pole -also doubling as the antenna.
The pole and guy-lines (Using Poly-Woven Shipping Strapping 3000 Lb Break Test) would double as pole supports as well as Tipi Poles.
A 14 footer will use 12 poles.
So 12 webbing straps staked well would hold the walls very well.
One Problem would be that the place to do that
would be right at the 14 foot mark.
I can cut one pole to the right length.
The other problem would be making a guy plate
with 12 holes for rings / carabiners.
The steel shop up the way can make that.
OTT, I would use a camo support ring to keep the aluminum poles off the ground, etc.
Many One Pole Tipis are being manufactured and sold worldwide and stand up to very high winds. They use strapping in the fabric skin as poles,
as well as guy lines holding the fabric out.
My Tipi Radio rig would be the same thing -on massive steroids."

I am looking at Easton Aluminum Stakes made for ECWS Military tents: Easton Tent Stakes Poles for North Face ECWS Military Tent

image

Easton Tent Stakes Poles for North Face ECWS Military Te...
US $85.00 Used in Collectibles, Militaria, Current Militaria (2001-Now)

Preview by Yahoo

But prolly just get the old army ones:

image

24 Military heavy duty Aluminum tent stakes OD Green. Ar...
US $20.00 Used in Sporting Goods, Outdoor Sports, Camping & Hiking

Preview by Yahoo

So, while looking for the Comet antenna which my grandson got for a friend here, CA-712EFC COMET CA712EFC -Les Sullins is a Ham Dealer in KC and can give as good a price as these two sites below;
Les Sullins <sa...@dandlantenna.com>

image

COMET CA-712EFC , COMET CA712EFC R&L Electronics
COMET CA712EFC, CA-712EFC , 460-470MHz BASE/REPEATER ANTENNA 9dBi 10'5
Preview by Yahoo

I saw this one -sounds good for a portable set up Tipi / Radio Shack like this for my grandson. Any ideas, suggestions would be great.

image

NCG Comet CA-712EFC - $129.95 : The Antenna Farm, Yo...
The Antenna Farm NCG Comet CA-712EFC - CA-712EFC   Manufacturer NCG Comet Model # CA-712EFC Product Narrative UHF Fixed station antenna. Two piece w...
Preview by Yahoo

Use of a mobile radio with car battery / solar charger, as a base station, etc,
-John said that a dual band radio / antenna would be preferred.
I am looking ahead to when things "go further south" and commo will be mandatory for survival. Also S&R teams / Field Command Post, etc.
John will be my communications officer -for our family at least
-and for a larger group, if nobody else shows up.
Anyway, this is the old 1976 era antenna for 20 bucks:

SVU4500SP1 UHF Base Antenna, 450-470 MHz W/Cable - Antennas (Various Manufacturers) - An...
SINCLABS UHF BASE ANTENNA UHF OMNI-DIRECTIONAL BASE ANTENNA. 450-470 MHz 3Db

Preview by Yahoo

$19.95
jerry

http://www.rfparts.com/svu4500sp1.htmlSVU4500SP1 UHF Base Antenna, 450-470 MHz W/Cable
Get a catalog from Home page. They have a Sinclair Labs vertical with 3 db gain on sale for $19.95. It comes with 30' of Belden RG58/U cable attached. It's a collinear and works fantastic. I transmit from one end to the other of a long valley with 7000' tall mountains on 3 sides. The antenna was made for some radio, I don't know which, but they bought a bunch, that is why the price is so low, it's at least a $70.00 antenna.

I cut off the cable except for one foot, attached LMR 400, ran it to a lightning arrestor then into my shack.
My radio only puts out 20 watts and talks like 100. Get rid of the thin cable and use nothing less than LMR 400.
L-Comm sells it for $0.75 a foot, Timewave, the best available at the best price anywhere.
It talks and receives a lot better than the copper J Pole I had up in the same place before and it will stand up to any weather or wind,
just make sure the pole is well guyed, but the antenna being short and not very heavy does not put much strain on a pole.
In an F-5 hurricane, it will be the only thing left undamaged. I got five, 4' tent poles from the Army Surplus store for $2.00 each and use one set of 3 nylon guy ropes. The pole does not bend in 65 MPG wind. It's a cheap way to get a good set up on the air.

The antenna is mounted 20' above the roof of the house, a good way to get more height. You can either put it up 20' or attach it to the house and be able to go 20' above the house and height is everything with GMRS.

The antenna is Part # SUV4500SP1 It's range is 450-470 MHz and it has an SWR under 1.5 to 1 up to 480 MHz

It's just over a foot tall, comes with mounting parts for a mast and is housed in Sched 80 PVC.

For $20.00, you won't find a better antenna with gain.

It also keeps a 25 watt radio legal. With 3 DB gain, depending on if it's DBi or DBD, it could double the power of your transmitter, so a 25 watt transmitter is like a 50 watt transmitter, less coax loss, which is legal. Either way, you will be under 50 watts effective radiated power, staying legal and you will find you won't need more power or gain. I know mine talks over 12 miles simplex, much depends on height and what is around you, I talk with a few a lot further because of terrain height. It hits two repeaters very clean.

For your Vehicle, get a Comet CA-2 X 4SR. It's a ham antenna, made for VHF/UHF amateur radio and EMCOMM work, it's very wide banded and made to be used with GMRS also. I have mine tuned for the Ham bands and the SWR on GMRS is 1.8 to 1. I could get the SWR lower on GMRS, but I use the Ham radio much more. It has 6.2 DBi gain on UHF which is just over 3 DBd gain, which means you will double the power of your radio. It's a fantastic ham antenna also, talks better than any other I have tried and is a fold over if needed. It cost approx. $60.00 and is worth every penny.

73's, John KF7VXA

image

SVU4500SP1 UHF Base Antenna, 450-470 MHz W/Cable
SINCLABS UHF BASE ANTENNA UHF OMNI-DIRECTIONAL BASE ANTENNA. 450-470 MHz 3Db
Preview by Yahoo

__________________
A man with a Gun is a citizen
A man without a Gun is a subject

Last edited by dksac2; 07-20-2013 at 3:43 PM..

Thanks for the link Steve. It is a 3 DBd, antenna which means it has 3 db gain over a dipole, so it will double the power as to radiated power over a 1/4 wavelength vertical antenna or a dipole, which actually has a little but of gain, a fantastic deal for $20.00.
It will make a 25 watt radio transmit like a 50 watt radio minus coax loss. Most antennas are rated in DBi, which radiates a little less than 1/2 as much power as the same antenna rated in DBd, so when you find an antenna with a DBd rating, it is a true indication of how much gain you will really get. A 3 DBi antenna really only has about 1.2 db gain or something close to that, not 3 db.
Be sure to keep the coax as short a possible, all coax has a lot of loss on the UHF band compared to VHF or HF.
I had it as just over a foot tall. With the mounting bracket, it's closer to two feet tall.

I should add that Sinclair Labs makes about the best quality antennas you can buy.

John
__________________
A man with a Gun is a citizen
A man without a Gun is a subject

Last edited by dksac2; 07-20-2013 at 3:44 PM..

Old 05-11-2014, 9:27 AM
MikeOxlong's Avatar
Global DB Admin/Senior Mod
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Location: Central Ontario

John, I deleted your duplicate thread. In the future, if you want to repost a thread, report the first one using the triangle icon located in the top right corner and a mod will delete it for you.
__________________
Mike.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Old 05-11-2014, 1:53 PM
Member

Location: Idaho

I didn't see the original, so I re posted, my bad, Thanks, I tried to find a way to delete it, but no delete button that I could find.
Thanks, John KF7VXA
__________________
A man with a Gun is a citizen
A man without a Gun is a subject
Old 05-11-2014, 2:56 PM
NDRADIONUT's Avatar
Member
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Location: FARGO ND

How did you mount it ?
Old 05-12-2014, 3:37 PM
Member

Location: Idaho

It's mounted on my roof peak with on a 16' pole. It has a U clamp with bolts to attach the antenna to the pole.
The coax that it comes with it is lossy, so be sure to cut it off about 1.5' from the antenna, put on an "N" fitting and then run LMR 400 to your lightning protection then into your station to avoid as much loss of signal in the coax as possible. Be sure to get a lightning arrestor with "N" fittings. You will have to use a PL-259 at the radio or whatever type of fitting is at the back of the radio; some are not PL-259.
At UHF frequency's, there is substantial loss of signal so one should use the coax with the least loss. Hardline would be the best, but is far to expensive for a GMRS radio unless you need every last bit of signal you can get. Most of us with a set up as mentioned with have more than enough. The coax that comes with the antenna along with other skinny coax to reach the radio could lose up to 1/2 of your signal at GMRS frequencies.
L-Com.com has LMR-400 at $0.70 a foot. This is the lowest price I have seen and it's excellent coax. Shipping is very reasonable from them also.

73"s John
__________________
A man with a Gun is a citizen
A man without a Gun is a subject

Last edited by dksac2; 05-12-2014 at 3:44 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 8:44 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Bedford, VA

I purchased two of these based upon your review. One of them is hanging on the wall on my living room and the other one is still in the box in the closet. I am very happy with it.
__________________
The Honorable Thomas A. McKean, HOKC
http://www.thomasamckean.com
Author, "Soon Will Come the Light: A View From Inside the Autism Puzzle"
KK4ISK / WQPK331
Old 05-20-2014, 5:04 PM
Member

Location: Idaho

Glad to hear it. I have nothing to do with the company that sells them, I just found the antenna to perform excellent and for a price that cannot be beat. The antenna will work just as good on the amateur UHF bands as well.
I'm glad to hear yours is working well also. Be sure to cut off all but about a couple of feet of the lossy cable that comes with it and replace the cable with some LMR-400. The cable that is on it, if you use it all, it will just about cut the signal in half. The LMR-400 will allow far more signal without the loss of the skinny cable it comes with.

73's John KF7VXA
__________________
A man with a Gun is a citizen
A man without a Gun is a subject
Old 05-20-2014, 6:29 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Bedford, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksac2 View Post
Glad to hear it. I have nothing to do with the company that sells them, I just found the antenna to perform excellent and for a price that cannot be beat. The antenna will work just as good on the amateur UHF bands as well.
I'm glad to hear yours is working well also. Be sure to cut off all but about a couple of feet of the lossy cable that comes with it and replace the cable with some LMR-400. The cable that is on it, if you use it all, it will just about cut the signal in half. The LMR-400 will allow far more signal without the loss of the skinny cable it comes with.

73's John KF7VXA
So far I have cut off all about 6 feet and I put a BNC on that. I might add the LMR-400 later. But for now it is doing what I want it to do, which is pick up one frequency in particular.
__________________
The Honorable Thomas A. McKean, HOKC
http://www.thomasamckean.com
Author, "Soon Will Come the Light: A View From Inside the Autism Puzzle"
KK4ISK / WQPK331
Old 05-21-2014, 9:21 AM
Member

Location: PA
Default Any pictures of this?

I notice the website has no images.

Can anyone who bought one post up a picture ?

Old 05-21-2014, 3:30 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Location: Bedford, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy7268 View Post
I notice the website has no images.

Can anyone who bought one post up a picture ?
There WAS a picture. When I bought mine. Is it no longer there?
__________________
The Honorable Thomas A. McKean, HOKC
http://www.thomasamckean.com
Author, "Soon Will Come the Light: A View From Inside the Autism Puzzle"
KK4ISK / WQPK331
Old 05-23-2014, 3:00 PM
Member

Location: Central.NJ

I just went to the site and there is a picture there.

Just so I understand correctly - you are saying that this would be a good tx/rx antenna for UHF frequencies ?

How about for VHF - will it at least work somewhat?

I am looking for an antenna to use with a wouxun dual band mobile unit that is being installed in an on site trailer at a large parcel of land - most communications will be on UHF - however some contractors and responders use VHF frequencies. Just wondering if this antenna will work on both bands

Thanks for any feedback.

Dan
Old 05-26-2014, 10:34 PM
Member

Location: Idaho

No, it's a UHF only antenna.
If you have not seen one, it is Sched 80 gray plastic pipe, 14" long with a cap on the top, coax out the bottom. It looks just like the professional UHF antennas you see on Government buildings. Most antennas are only Sched 40 at best.
It also has a metal clamp on the bottom for mounting on a pole with a clamp included.
Very High Quality and a deal and a half.

John