info : Jonglei ’s citizens support Gov. Kuol’s appointment

Jean-Francois Darcq

Jan 22, 2008, 9:29:41 AM1/22/08

Jonglei’s citizens support Gov. Kuol’s appointment
Monday 21 January 2008.

From: Jonglei State Citizens against Insecurity Date: January 3, 2008

To: The Honorable Governor of Jonglei State Lt. Gen. Kuol Manyang Juuk
Chaw, Bor Town, Jonglei State

CC: H.E. 1st Lt. Gen. President Salva Kiir Mayardit, Juba, South Sudan

Dear Mr. Governor,

Subject: Letter of Support to your Appointment as Governor of Jonglei
State

First and foremost, we, the citizens of Jonglei State congratulate you on
your appointment as new Governor of Jonglei State. Please accept our
sincere welcoming. We hope your new administration will move the Jonglei
State out of the current state of fear and terror. Mr. Governor, before we
go any further, we would like to let you know who we are. We are called
"Jonglei State Citizens against Insecurity." We are mostly composed of
college and university students in the Diaspora. We mobilized ourselves
out of frustration caused by kidnapping of children, killing of innocent
civilians, and raiding of cattle in Jonglei State by Murle Militia.

Mr. Governor, in late 2007, the State of Jonglei experienced widespread
killings of innocent civilians, abduction of children, and looting of
cattle. That catastrophe happened at alarming rate and on horrifying scale
in terms of human loss, loss of properties, and loss of children mainly
from the communities of Anyuak, Nuer, and Dinka Bor most of which were hit
hard in the last three months before your appointment. Following such
catastrophic situations, we resolved in the best tradition of democracy to
send a petition signed by more than 120 peoples to the President of the
Government of South Sudan 1st Lt. Gen. Salva Kiir Mayardit urging him to
take urgent action to end such unimaginable and horrific human suffering
at the time of peace. We hope that petition had played a role in the
change of administration in Jonglei state.

Mr. Governor, our main purpose of sending this letter to you is to express
our loyal support for your appointment as the governor of the state of
Jonglei and also to appreciate you for leaving your position in the
Government of National Unity to take up such a challenging task of
rescuing Jonglei State. Mr. Governor, even though the duty of who becomes
the governor before 2009 is bestowed on GOSS President as per CPA, we as
citizens still have a say to support or reject who the president appoints
as governor. In that regard, we would like to let you know that President
Kiir had made a right choice in choosing you as the governor in this
critical moment in our state history. We believe that you have the
capability and political authority to tame the lawless cattle raiders and
bring back to normal, the life of all the citizens of Jonglei. This will
pave the way for speedy development which will result in elimination of
poverty in the state.

Mr. Governor, having said that, we would like to assure you that we will
be with you in every step you take as long as it satisfies the needs of
the people of Jonglei State. We will reject any step you will take as long
as it doesn’t satisfy the needs of the people of Jonglei State. We will
make it our democratic duty to watch you and evaluate you in every step
you take. A democracy that you and your colleagues in the SPLM fought for,
needs the participation of the citizens of the country in regard to
matters of governance, and this is what we are exactly vowing to be doing.
We need you in every important move you take to be considering the
opinions of all the people of Jonglei State in all the matters of
governance.

Mr. Governor, your move to prioritize the issue of disarmament which we
strongly recommended in our last petition to President Kiir is a laudable
move because possessions of arms by civilians pose a fatal threat to the
people of Jonglei state. Immediate deployment of SPLA troops in the
affected areas as well as your approach to disarmament by first asking for
peaceful disarmament starting first with communities that pose threat to
others is an incredible move. We would like you to consider the following
recommendations, some of which we mentioned in our last petition to
President Salva Kiir.

(Embedded image moved to file: pic06467.gif)- Deployment of SPLA forces in
the affected areas to prevent immediate future attacks which you have
done.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic29541.gif)- Immediate disarmament of
Murle Militia whose process you have started.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic26129.gif)- Immediate disarmament of all
the communities in Jonglei which you have put on the list of your
priorities.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic31240.gif)- Have talk with neighboring
states to agree on speedy and the same time disarmament of their people in
order to avoid chances of our people being victims of attacks after their
disarmament.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic27813.gif)- Use Murle Leaders to ask
their people to return abducted children and looted cattle to their
original owners and to also persuade their people to lay down arms.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic29174.gif)- Replacement of the Members
of Parliament from Pibor if they fail to convince their people to return
abducted children and looted cattle.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic20601.gif)- Enactment of law that can
make cattle raiding and abduction of children crime punishable by death.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic06077.gif)- Provision of Jonglei State
Government with Helicopters to track down and arrest cattle raiders and
child abductors and bring them to face law.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic20215.gif)- Deployment of SPLA troops
along the Bor-Juba Highway to stop insecurity caused by unknown gunmen
there.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic08683.gif)- After ensuring security,
give immediate priority for the return of IDPs from Jonglei because they
are seen as invaders and occupants by host communities especially in the
region of Equatoria. We urge you to do that to prevent potential bloodshed
between the hosts and the IDPs.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic08213.gif)- Immediate setting up of a
high level committee to facilitate the return of IDPs to Jonglei
(Embedded image moved to file: pic23992.gif)-  Immediate provision of
facilities for the IDPS to return to Jonglei
(Embedded image moved to file: pic25824.gif)- Involvement of people in the
Diaspora in development by cooperating in development programs and
effective mechanisms that can ensure effective use of people in the
Diaspora. -This is because Jonglei has a considerable number of people
with incredible skills needed for speedy development in the state.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic05601.gif)- Most importantly, convene
peace and reconciliation conference involving people from all walks of
life in the state to lay foundation of trust between different communities
in the State.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic23392.gif)- As of now, the insecurity in
our state will be coming to an end, however, we would like you to make
health and educational facilities the next priority as they will be
urgently needed to save our people from returning into abject and
miserable conditions in refugee camps in neighboring countries.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic15759.gif)- All the people of Jonglei
state should be trained and grouped into agricultural cooperative
societies and equipped with agricultural tools including tractors so that
they are economically sufficient and so that they are liberated from
relying on UN for food and other services.
(Embedded image moved to file: pic02670.gif)- There is a need to establish
a system to save the orphans and widows whose husbands, brothers and
fathers sacrificed for our liberation. They should be saved from being
washed away by simple diseases like Malaria, typhoid as well as from daily
hunger. These innocent people need nothing, but only education and
hospitals so that their kids would be able to go to schools and get
treatment in case of illness.

Votes of thanks to President Salva Kiir Mayardit:

In a special note, we give our greatest gratitude to South Sudan President
1st Lt. Gen. Salva Kiir Mayardit for appointing you as the Governor. We
also thank the president for giving his attention to the pleas of the
people of Jonglei State. Both of you have fought with great loyalty to
bring freedom to the people of South Sudan and marginalized areas.
Therefore, we hope that you will always act in the best interest of the
people because a freedom fighter lives to the ideals he/she fights for. We
hope the president will continue to work with you in bringing an end to
the insecurity in Jonglei State.

Sincerely,

Jonglei State Citizens against Insecurity 1.Abacha Maluk Deng 2. Abiel
Abil 3. Abednego Kur - Ain Shams University, Cairo 4. Abraham Chol 5.
Abraham Kuany 6. Abraham Mach 7. Abraham Matiop Alier Ngueny Gaker 8.
Achiek Manyok 9. Adol Makuei 10. Aduei A. Riak 11. Agot Deng 12. Aguet
Kuany 13. Ajah Dau 14. Ajak Mabior 15. Ajang Aguer 16. Ajok Deng 17. Akech
Kuol Mawan 18. Akuei Garang 19. AKuien Awour 20. Alakiir Diing 21. Anderia
Lual 22. Anyar Ngang Alith 23. Anyuat Kur 24. Atem Deng 25. Athieng Riak
26. Athou Lam 27. Ayen Nhial 28. Ayok Monydit 29. Ayual Mayom 30. Ayuen
Buol 31. Ayuen Deng Ador 32. Banak Moses Mading - University student and
SPLM Chapter member, U.S.A 33. Bior Keech 34. Bior Kuer Bior 35. Bol Akuoc
36. Bul Nyuop 37. Cham A. Agatda 38. Chol Agot 39. Chol Kelei 40. Chol
Majok 41. Chol Mayen 42. Chol Mayom 43. Chuar Juet Jock* Graduate Student
in Colarodo University, U.S.A. 44. Chuol Wal Chak -College Student in
Canada 45. Cush Lual Aduot 46. Dak Hoth Wuol - Canada 47. Daniel Mayen 48.
David Maluak 49. David Mathiang 50. David Nhial 51. David Pulkuoth Biey -
SPLM Youth Member,Canada 52. Debora Makuei 53. Deng Ajak 54. Peter Deng
Alier Ayom - Adelaide, Australia 55. Deng Ayach Adit 56. Deng Moses
Gatwech 57. Deng Thon Alier 58. Deng Tong 59. Dor Akech 60. Dut Marhu 61.
Elijah Mayian Lul, Nyirol Payam representative, South Sudan 62. Elizabeth
Kuch 63. Eng Philip Kiir Gatwech 64. Fortytwo Yuol -SPLM Youth member,
Canada 65. Francis Chagai Bol, Former member of SPLA Red Army Battalion
66. Gabriel Ayom 67. Gabriel Chol 68. Gabriel Ruot Dol - U.S.A 69. Gabriel
Yien Daniel - Canada 70. Gai Ajuoi 71. Garang Ajak 72. Gatbel Both
Paldeang - Canada 73. Gatdin Diew Donge - Canada 74. Gatwech Both Paldeang
- University Student 75. Gatwech Jal Lam - Canada 76. Gordon Gatbany Chuol
77. Jacob Bul 78. Jacob Dau 79. Jacob Gai 80. Jacob Lual 81. James Ayuen
82. James Biel Gatluak - Lou Nuer community Secretary in Alberta 83. James
Deng Wan - Church elder/leader in Canada. 84. James Machar 85. Jany Yai
Hoth- SPLM Youth Member, Canada 86. John A. Manyang 87. John Addis Palet -
University Student, U.S.A 88. John Ayuen Deng 89. John Chol 90. John
Chuang 91. John Chuol Bol - Canada 92. John Deng 93. John Garang 94. John
Jok Nhial, USA 95. John Nyuon 96. John Riak 97. John Yien Lam - College
Student Canada 98. Johnson Alier 99. Johnson Okello 100. Jok Dau 101. Ker
Biel Gach - SPLM Youth member 102. Khorhok Gal Gar -SPLM Sec in Nyirol
County 103. Kongor Akoi Garang 104. Kou Ayuen 105. Kuir Jibol 106. Kuol
Garang, Canada 107. Loi Deng Nai, USA 108. Lual Guet 109. Mabior Buol 110.
Mabior Thuch, Canada 111. Mading Ngor Akec Kwai, Canada 112. Majeep Kou
113. Majok Kunjok, 114. Majur Makor 115. Makeer Agoot 116. Malueeth Mapior
117. Mamer Garang 118. Mangok Mach 119. Manyok Gak 120. Margaret Awek 121.
Martha Nyadieng Tut - Lou Nuer Women Association community, secretary of
finance 122. Mary Kuai 123. Mary Nyakuiy Yiam - Church women
representative in Edmonton, Canada 124. Mawut Deng 125. Mawut Guarak -
Graduate Student, New York; Chairman, Gak Students’ Association;Secretary
General, Bor Community National Association (New York); 126. Mawut Guguei
Garang 127. Mawut Mayen 128. Mayak Machar 129. Michael Aluong 130. Michael
Kuir 131. Moses Chuol Wal - Sudanese Nuer community Chairman in Edmonton,
Canada 132. Moses Deng 133. Ngor Deng 134. Nhial Bol 135. Nhial Dak Duop -
University Student, U.S. A 136. Nhial Tiitmamer - Canada 137. Nyanjok Lam
138. Panther Alier - MA candidate, Brandeis University 139. Paul Deng 140.
Peter Chuol Kuany 141. Peter Kuol 142. Peter Makuach 143. Peter Manyok
144. Peter Reat Gatkuoth 145. Peter Thot Nyang - Nyirol county official
and members of Nyirol assemble. 146. Philip Dut 147. Reuben Panchol 148.
Riak Aquila 149. Samuel Leek 150. Samuel Lim Gatkuoth, SPLM youth member,
Kakuma, Kenya 151. Simon Umot Ukuak 152. Solomon Machar 153. Stephen T.
Gatluak 154. Tap Lokchak Dong - Politician (Africa) 155. Thijin Gatwech
Kuany -Sudanese Nuer community Secretary, Edmonton 156. Thon Aquek 157.
Thon Ayii 158. Thon Garang 159. Wai John 160. Wany Juet Jock - Univeristy
Student 161. Wel Jok 162. Wiyual Chuang Kuenywar - Church Leader, Canada
163. Yien Rial Nyot - U.S.A 164. Yoal Chuol Dhoal-

For reply and comments, please contact the following people:

Bior Kech Bior, [1]->b...@email.arizona.edu] Bior Kuer Bior, kb...@uvm.edu
Daniel Nhial Bol, dan...@ksu.edu Deng Ajak Jongkuch,
dengjo...@yahoo.com Francis Chagai Bol francis...@yahoo.ca John
Jok Nhial, joknhi...@yahoo.com Mawut Guarak, mgu...@gmail.com Nhial