wooden musical instruments

Michael Roche

Mar 23, 2015, 10:59:12 AM3/23/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I've just joined. I'm interested in making wooden musical instruments for children and adults.
Does anyone else have a similar interest?
Regards
Michael Roche

Richard Armstrong-Wood

Mar 23, 2015, 11:42:05 AM3/23/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael

I am very much interested in that kind of thing, not much experience though, but keen to learn.

Rich

Michael Roche

Michael Roche

Mar 23, 2015, 5:42:22 PM3/23/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. I'm a novice too although I've got some experience. I'd like to make mandolins and wood flutes, initially - play a bit too.  I've got some books on the subject and I've been on a course. It would be great to share ideas about this. What are you interested in doing?

Regards

Mike

Ben Heartland

Mar 23, 2015, 7:53:58 PM3/23/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael, Rich,

I'm interested in that area as well - I have a half-finished kantele (Finnish folk harp) in progress and would like to make guitars and basses in the future. Other than that, I have no experience of making instruments (plenty of playing, though!).

Ben

mob: +44 7 506 847 171

Richard Armstrong-Wood

Mar 24, 2015, 10:43:53 AM3/24/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've always wanted to have a go at making a guitar, I was going to do a course too but funds and time were never quite there. I am also interested in experimenting with making with making other kinds of instruments from a variety of materials perhaps combining analog and digital though this is pretty far off becoming a reality as I still have a lot to learn. can you recommend any good books on the subject?

Rich

Michael Roche

Mar 24, 2015, 12:37:14 PM3/24/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rich,
I've got some books. Why don't all those who are interested in making musical instruments get together for a drink? I'm abroad until 8th, but available after that. I live near Brockwell Park.
kind regards
mike

Michael Roche

Mar 24, 2015, 2:08:19 PM3/24/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Would be great to design a travel mandolin/uke. All the tension is in the front. The sound box at the back could be collapsed and then set up, maybe. I've also looked into: gourds, green woodworking and early musical instruments. Also, I think there's a lot of scope for children's learning instruments with attractive designs, such as zither. I've read about wood turning where they use also of decoration methods.

Rich Maynard

Mar 24, 2015, 3:13:17 PM3/24/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
There's s really cool walking stick mandolin on the Horniman Museum collection

RichM

Michael Roche

Mar 24, 2015, 4:51:01 PM3/24/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Wow, I love the Horniman! Could be a good source for ideas.

Michael Roche

Mar 24, 2015, 4:56:07 PM3/24/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ben,
What kind of music do you play? I go to SELFolk on Saturday mornings in Forest Hill, which is fun. I got interested in Scandinavian folk music at one point as I play mandolin and mandola.

On Monday, 23 March 2015 14:59:12 UTC, Michael Roche wrote:
Hi,
I've just joined. I'm interested in making wooden musical instruments for children and adults.
Does anyone else have a similar interest?
Regards
Michael Roche

Dermot Jones

Mar 25, 2015, 4:36:44 AM3/25/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
I've also wanted to build an acoustic guitar for some time.

If we do it as a group we can pool resources and ideas...and maybe get a luthier in to guide us occasionally?

Dermot

Richard Armstrong-Wood

Mar 25, 2015, 5:00:19 AM3/25/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
It would be great to get together for a drink I live in Herne Hill so very close, but I am away from the 5th of April and maybe for about a month, so i'll miss your return Michael and be out of it for awhile. working as a group and pooling resources sounds like a good idea to me too!

Michael Roche

Mar 25, 2015, 8:26:00 AM3/25/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dermot, that's a great idea.
Mike

Michael Roche

Mar 26, 2015, 2:15:55 PM3/26/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard, I would love to be part of a group devoted to developing luthiery skills. We could also share equipment.
See you when you get back.
mike

Richard Armstrong-Wood

Mar 27, 2015, 4:37:05 AM3/27/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Great! I'll look forward to it.

Rich

Ben Heartland

Mar 27, 2015, 12:25:10 PM3/27/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
A luthiery meetup sounds like a great idea! How are the weeks of May 11th & 18th for everyone?

There's a local luthier, John Procter, who made my 6-string electric bass (johnprocter.com). Lives & works in Nunhead, he's a good guy, would probably do some tutoring/mentoring for a reasonable fee.

Michael - SELFolk look like a fun bunch! I play a range of stuff, from blues-rock to Anglo-Bengali crossover and several points in between. It's probably easier to send you some links than try to describe it:

Ben

Michael Roche

Mar 27, 2015, 1:57:39 PM3/27/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Ben,
The meet up plan sounds good.

I play various instruments and write songs. I have very eclectic tastes. I'd love to hear your music.

Best wishes

Mike

Chris Muller

Apr 12, 2015, 3:10:04 AM4/12/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hey there,

I live in Herne Hill and am also interested in making musical instruments out of different materials, but mainly wood. Currently building a simple harmonic guitar with a third bridge. I'd love to meet-up and get on this adventure together.

Chris

Michael Roche

Apr 12, 2015, 3:15:56 AM4/12/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Chris,
It would be great to meet up. It seems there's a local group who want to do this who are makerspace members. We should all meet to get started. Or you and I could meet up. Your guitar sounds very interesting. I previously made a lute in a group. I'm interested in a wide range of instruments.
Best wishes
Mike

Chris Muller

Apr 12, 2015, 5:08:11 AM4/12/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Nice to hear from you so quickly. Definitely should all meet up. I'm also interested in a wider range of instruments then guitars, crossovers, prepared instruments.. We could meet up together in this week if you like to. You can mail me at: chrismullr[at]gmail.com

Chris
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to southlondonmakerspace+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Dermot Jones

Apr 19, 2015, 9:16:36 AM4/19/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Well, this sounds like the emergence of a common interest...and that is exactly what the Makerspace is all about: sharing resources, skills and enthusiasms.

In the next few weeks we'll be gradually opening the space for regular meetup and special interest groups.

If all those interested in making instruments would like to form a group and find a regular evening that would be great. Come down to the space and see what space/tools/gear will be needed....at this stage it's all up for grabs!

Or just start with a social chat? And move forward from that.

Dermot.

Michael Roche

Apr 19, 2015, 9:57:06 AM4/19/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Dermot,
This is really exciting! Could I call in one evening this week to have a chat?
Best wishes
Mike

Angelo Grieco

Apr 20, 2015, 4:13:22 AM4/20/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I'm a music lover, an amateur guitar player (from 20+ years... not my thing probably) and recently I've started to feed my interest in traditional woodworking...
Would be very great to meet some like-minded people (especially in the cold London where i live from 4+ years and I can count my friends on one hand's fingers).
Looking forward to hear about you guys

Michael Roche

Apr 20, 2015, 8:10:44 AM4/20/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Angelo,
We all need to meet.  Can someone suggest a time/date and place?
Kind regards
Mike

Dermot Jones

Apr 29, 2015, 6:31:46 AM4/29/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Why not all come along to the social night this Thursday?

At the Commercial pub opposite Herne Hill station, from 6.30...

We're very close to opening so it would be possible to start a regular meetup for this in the space in the next few weeks.

Dermot.

Hanno Halonen

May 28, 2015, 4:45:05 AM5/28/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael, Ben et all

It was great to see the place last night at the grand opening.

Ben & Heni, lost you guys at the end, next round is on me.

I am interested in musical instrument making for children and adults and would love to take part in a group like this. I have some experience in running work shops for kids, and have been entertaining an idea of running a instrument making workshops at summer festivals, however I would be interested in taking my own skills further first I would love to make a Dulcemer out of wood.

Hope we can start this group soon.

Hanno

Michael Roche

May 28, 2015, 5:26:25 AM5/28/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Hanno,
I couldn't make the opening as I'm away this week. I love your ideas and definitely want to do something alo g those lines. Let's all meet up next week. Kuds dulcimer is a great idea. My email is: mik...@hotmail.com
Best wishes
Michael Roche

Dermot Jones

Jun 2, 2015, 10:55:52 AM6/2/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi All.

Tomorrow night is open night. Anyone available to meetup then?

I'll be at the space from 7.30.

Dermot

Michael Roche

Jun 2, 2015, 4:16:49 PM6/2/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dermot,

I'll try to make it a bit after that.

Regards

Michael

Michael Roche

Jun 4, 2015, 8:07:48 AM6/4/15
to southlondo...@googlegroups.com
It was lovely to meet people at the SLMS last night. It will be great when the woodwork area is up and running. We can all share ideas, skills, equipment and possibly get speakers in to do talks/training.
Mike