Microbits

Zoe Deeley

Oct 13, 2015, 2:43:36 PM10/13/15
to SouthEastEnglandCodeClub
Hi,

I hear that codeclubs can get microbits for our students. Does anyone know how we apply for these?

Thanks

Zoe

Dan Powell

Oct 15, 2015, 6:19:09 AM10/15/15
to SouthEastEnglandCodeClub
Hi Zoe,

The BBC have said they're giving us 20k microbits for clubs, but haven't said exactly when yet!

The latest news is that we'll get them early in 2016. When I know more I'll let everyone know.

Cheers

Dan

Zoe Deeley

Oct 15, 2015, 7:05:46 AM10/15/15
to SouthEastEnglandCodeClub
Excellent Dan,

I've been playing with the emulators online and it is a wonderful technology to mess around with and I think it is easier to get started with than arduino's and raspberry pi's for KS2 students.  I would think that if students are inspired by microbits then there is a natural progression to arduino or pi as they are more expandable (have more I/O ports!).

I wonder if I can put in a request that the application process doesn't involve the school IT lead this time as my club missed the last offer of the arduino gamer kits due to the school binning the email requesting their confirmation.

Zoe

Dan Powell

Chris Kimpton

Feb 20, 2016, 6:15:16 AM2/20/16
to southeasteng...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Any news on the CodeClub MicroBit allocations?  Is it all via the school?

Cheers
Chris

On 16 October 2015 at 13:55, Dan Powell <sout...@codeclub.org.uk> wrote:
[...]

Dan Powell

Feb 22, 2016, 11:26:45 AM2/22/16
to SouthEastEnglandCodeClub
Hi

We’re still waiting on confirmation from the BBC, but we believe we will receive micro:bits in the spring term. As soon as the BBC lets us know, we'll let everyone know!

ICYMI there are micro:bit projects on the projects site which run in an emulator in Code Kingdoms https://www.codeclubprojects.org/en-GB/microbit/

Cheers

Dan

Chris Kimpton

Feb 22, 2016, 2:44:21 PM2/22/16
to southeasteng...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Dan - and I had missed those Code Club projects.

Tristan Roddis

Mar 29, 2016, 11:34:55 AM3/29/16
to southeasteng...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Now that the Micro:bit has been officially launched, has there been any update from the BBC about when they'll be providing any to Code Clubs? I had a go with one the other day at a Computing At Schools training event, and can't wait to get my group working with them.

Thanks,

-Tristan.

Dan Powell

Apr 1, 2016, 9:13:39 AM4/1/16
to southeasteng...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tristan,

Basically, the BBC says we will have them 'in the spring', so when they arrive we will be sending them out. That's the best I can do at the moment!

I'll let you know when they arrive

Cheers

Dan

Dan Powell