Running CodeClub in a 45 minute lunchtime session?

Graham Bright

Jan 22, 2016, 4:19:49 AM1/22/16
to SouthEastEnglandCodeClub
After several unsuccessful attempts to run an after school club, I'd like to know if anyone has run lunchtime clubs in 45 minute sessions.

If yes, please share your experiences and make recommendations.
Thanks.

Marcus Tyler-Moore

Jan 22, 2016, 5:06:56 AM1/22/16
to southeasteng...@googlegroups.com

I have run 45 minute sessions before school @ 8am as that has fit around both myself and the parents + kids with their normal busy after school hours.

It's a tight squeeze but it is certainly doable... I would think lunch times though are pushing it at primary level as usually kids are stretched for time to eat their lunches as it is.

Chris Kimpton

Jan 22, 2016, 12:42:59 PM1/22/16
to southeasteng...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We do it - the teacher arranges for the involved kids to have 'early' lunch.  Currently getting around 12-15 kids in the class.

I guess the main 'problem' is that the projects don't get finished in the session - usually stretch over 2 sessions. Not that big a deal, as the class is mixed ability and so they progress at different rates anyway.

We also try to spend 10-15 mins at the start showing a few of the projects they have done and a general chat about them, then they get into working on their own projects.

It's made a little more difficult as we are based on laptops - so the first few mins are spent getting them out of the cupboard, turning them on. And the occasional flat battery during the session.

I do have a few work colleagues who are DBS checked who come along too - so that helps a little - 2-3 of us around to help with any questions.

HTH,
Chris