Urban Growth Bounty

Tim

Jan 4, 2010, 2:35:10 PM1/4/10
to Southeast Sustainability Committee

If a gift of experience is the perfect last-minute stocking stuffer,
the City of Portland's Urban Growth Bounty courses are the answer.
More than 700 local residents learned how to transform their yards
into "urban farms," preserve their harvest and keep chickens and bees
thanks to the last year's classes. The overwhelming response has led
to a tripling of course offerings for the 2010. The expanded roster
includes more cheesemaking and cooking, advanced chicken and
beekeeping, innovative gardening and healthful food on a budget
classes. On-line registration is available at http://www.portlandonline.com/bps/ugb.
Hi All,

Please pass the message below around to your groups. I've heard these
classes are great.

Also, I'm planning a check-in meeting for January 26th so we can all
get back in touch and talk about goals for the next year. Steve
Johnson, from PSU's Department of Urban Affairs, will give a short
presentation about the importance of civic engagement in
sustainability. We'll give an update on Solarize Portland and talk
about other possibilities for the model, and there will be plenty of
time to check in on all your projects. I'll send out a more formal
announcement a little later but just wanted to mention it so you have
some notice.

Tim

"Portland residents know that growing and preserving their own food is
great for our personal, environmental and community health," says
Portland Mayor Sam Adams. "The Urban Growth Bounty classes are a great
value. There's always more to learn about how to grow, preserve and
eat sustainably on a budget."

Presented by the City of Portland's Bureau of Planning and
Sustainability, new partners and well-known experts are on board for
the 2010 series, including Oregon Tilth, Naomi Montacre, Monique
Dupre, Ivy Manning and the creative hands at Salt Fire and Time and
Abby's Kitchen. Classes for all skill levels are offered from February
through November and held at locations all over the city.

For detailed Urban Growth Bounty 2010 information and registration
details, visit http://www.portlandonline.com/bps/ugb or e-mail:
fo...@ci.portland.or.us.

About the City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
The City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability (BPS)
promotes integrated land use planning and development based on
sustainability principles and practices. BPS also develops and
implements policies and programs that provide environmental, economic
and social benefits to residents, businesses and government, which
strengthen Portland's position as an international model of
sustainable practices and commerce. http://www.portlandonline.com/bps