Future of SoDev

Christopher Gutteridge

Sep 7, 2010, 7:12:41 AM9/7/10
to southampton...@googlegroups.com
Last night we had a discussion about what directions we wanted to take
the sodev group.

One of the issues is that the group is a bit narrowly focused. So we
kicked around some ideas of what we wanted it to be. People were not
keen on the word "geek" due to its negative connotations and also it
being a bit too broad. The name people were happiest with was
"Southampton Technologists" so we propose to rename the group to

SoTech: Southampton Technologists (aka The Anti-Luddite League)

With that name we aim to get an increased online presence. sotech.org.uk
is available... If anyone has a better name shout today!

We can also create a new calendar with lots of interesting local events
in and give update rights to several people to share the work.

We also want to organise a one day barcamp in Nov/Dec which would be in
the Star on a Saturday. What we're thinking is start about 9:30, and do
some talks and demos (they have a nice big projector) and see if we can
get someone to sponsor coffee and bacon sandwiches. (+ maybe an option
for those who suffer from vegetarianism). Ideas and offers of help very
welcome!

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248

/ Lead Developer, EPrints Project, http://eprints.org/
/ Web Projects Manager, ECS, University of Southampton, http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/
/ Webmaster, Web Science Trust, http://www.webscience.org/

Dave Challis

Sep 7, 2010, 11:51:15 AM9/7/10
to southampton...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest adding a bunch of new posters to advertise the group which
make it clear that this isn't just for developers.

The green/black terminal poster was great, maybe making a few more which
include electronics, making/building etc. in addition the the current
style would be neat.

Hopefully they'll catch the eyes of various people who fear command line!

Dave

On 07/09/10 12:12, Christopher Gutteridge wrote:
> Last night we had a discussion about what directions we wanted to take
> the sodev group.
>
> One of the issues is that the group is a bit narrowly focused. So we
> kicked around some ideas of what we wanted it to be. People were not
> keen on the word "geek" due to its negative connotations and also it
> being a bit too broad. The name people were happiest with was
> "Southampton Technologists" so we propose to rename the group to
>
> SoTech: Southampton Technologists (aka The Anti-Luddite League)
>
> With that name we aim to get an increased online presence. sotech.org.uk
> is available... If anyone has a better name shout today!
>
> We can also create a new calendar with lots of interesting local events
> in and give update rights to several people to share the work.
>
> We also want to organise a one day barcamp in Nov/Dec which would be in
> the Star on a Saturday. What we're thinking is start about 9:30, and do
> some talks and demos (they have a nice big projector) and see if we can
> get someone to sponsor coffee and bacon sandwiches. (+ maybe an option
> for those who suffer from vegetarianism). Ideas and offers of help very
> welcome!

><> o ) o
. (( .
Dave Challis <>< )) <><
___...@ecs.soton.ac.uk__________________________________________((_______

Benjie Gillam

Sep 7, 2010, 12:46:21 PM9/7/10
to southampton...@googlegroups.com
I think perhaps technologists sounds a bit high tech compared to what you might expect for hardware hackers (which tends to be relatively low tech, compared to, say, an iPhone). I can't better it though. Makers, builders, modders, do-ers, hackers, ... None are quite right.

Southampton Developers Group! #sodev

Mike Gowland

Sep 7, 2010, 12:56:40 PM9/7/10
to southampton...@googlegroups.com
The name sounds good, and it's nice to see we haven't had to resort to i[insert name here]!

Ben Wheeler

Sep 15, 2010, 6:20:00 PM9/15/10
On 7 September 2010 17:46, Benjie Gillam <benjie...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think perhaps technologists sounds a bit high tech compared to what you
> might expect for hardware hackers (which tends to be relatively low tech,
> compared to, say, an iPhone).

I'm not over keen on "technologists" either, it sounds like
manager-speak to me.
I thought the "tech" was short for "techies" :)

Ben

--
Quextal plays progressive and psychedelic breakbeats and 4/4s
for innerspace journeying and wild dancing.

Christopher Gutteridge

Sep 16, 2010, 5:58:13 AM9/16/10
to southampton...@googlegroups.com
I think it's both depending who we talk to :)