Barcamp Southampton

Christopher Gutteridge

Sep 7, 2010, 11:46:31 AM9/7/10
to southampton...@googlegroups.com
Exciting! Chris Phillips & I are looking into options to get some
sponsorship for food and coffee for a one-day barca,mp sometime later
this year!

Any ideas for a name? Barcamp Southampton is pretty descriptive.

The idea would be that it would run on a Saturday from 9 or 10am until
about 4 or 5pm. There would be a bunch of people doing short talks (5
minutes) about a whole variety of stuff. And some food & coffee (and
booze too, obviously)

Where our monthly Monday events are a social event, this would have a
more active element with people demoing and working on stuff. All kinds
of cool technology is in scope, not just software.

Similar events happen in Oxford, London and Bath, but it's high-time we
had one in Southampton.

We'll firm up a date soon. Suggestions and offers of help very welcome!

... and start thinking what you will talk about when we give you a
projector, a laptop and ask you to tell us about something cool in 300
seconds or less!

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248

/ Lead Developer, EPrints Project, http://eprints.org/
/ Web Projects Manager, ECS, University of Southampton, http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/
/ Webmaster, Web Science Trust, http://www.webscience.org/

Chris Phillips (cminion)

Sep 7, 2010, 12:41:01 PM9/7/10
to Southampton Developers
Depending on the uptake we hope to have multiple areas running
simultaneous sessions allowing for sessions longer then five minutes,
but like all barcamps everything will be finalised on the day.

On Sep 7, 4:46 pm, Christopher Gutteridge <c...@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
wrote:
> Exciting! Chris Phillips & I are looking into options to get some
> sponsorship for food and coffee for a one-day barca,mp sometime later
> this year!
>
> Any ideas for a name? Barcamp Southampton is pretty descriptive.
>
> The idea would be that it would run on a Saturday from 9 or 10am until
> about 4 or 5pm. There would be a bunch of people doing short talks (5
> minutes) about a whole variety of stuff. And some food & coffee (and
> booze too, obviously)
>
> Where our monthly Monday events are a social event, this would have a
> more active element with people demoing and working on stuff. All kinds
> of cool technology is in scope, not just software.
>
> Similar events happen in Oxford, London and Bath, but it's high-time we
> had one in Southampton.
>
> We'll firm up a date soon. Suggestions and offers of help very welcome!
>
> ... and start thinking what you will talk about when we give you a
> projector, a laptop and ask you to tell us about something cool in 300
> seconds or less!
>
> --
> Christopher Gutteridge --http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248
>
> / Lead Developer, EPrints Project,http://eprints.org/
> / Web Projects Manager, ECS, University of Southampton,http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/

Mike Gowland

Sep 7, 2010, 12:55:55 PM9/7/10
to southampton...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea of being able to demonstrate things we're currently working on as personal projects. One thing I find a little fustrating at the meet-ups is talking about what I'm working on but not being able to show anything off.

--
Southampton Developers Group! #sodev