Laser Cutter

Mark Lidstone

Aug 12, 2014, 4:18:25 AM8/12/14
to south...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I know there was some interest in getting a laser cutter, and the offer that was being considered was for a really good quality one, but has anyone looked at the cheap ones?

For instance, on eBay it looks like there's a seller in Portsmouth (I think the "US" address is wrong considering the listing is GBP and postage is via Parcelforce) who has some of these cheap Chinese cutters:

I know they're not great and the software is pretty poor, but there are plenty of people who have replaced the electronics to make this kind of thing controllable by FOSS.

Considering the price difference and the locality, I just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks,

Mark

Chris Smith

Aug 12, 2014, 7:01:50 AM8/12/14
to south...@googlegroups.com
Personally I'd rather save the money and get something good (that will also help pay for itself) but if enough people want to go for something like this then of course that's what we'll do :)

Rob

Aug 12, 2014, 8:58:44 AM8/12/14
to south...@googlegroups.com

Hi I have just noticed this. I don't really make use of the group much but I do have don't really good input regarding laser cutters. I know the person who runs just add sharks and I can highly recommend his service. He sells cheap laser cutters but helps with custom mods, provides plans and projects UK based support and servicing. Have a look. WWW.justaddsharks.co.UK

Rob

Chris Smith

Aug 12, 2014, 9:08:36 AM8/12/14
to south...@googlegroups.com
Yup we've already been talking to them as they offer a nice discount to hackerspaces :)

Chris Smith
So Make It - Treasurer

Benjie Gillam

Aug 12, 2014, 9:10:43 AM8/12/14
to SoutHACKton
I think you'd get more interest over on the Makerspace mailing list - soma...@googlegroups.com - this one is for SoutHACKton, the subgroup focussed on electronics and programming (currently dormant, but will be revived when I have more time/health available or someone else steps up).

For interest, Just Add Sharks is our current lead option; it's been discussed before: